Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Student life: University of Michigan and the Ohio State University

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Student life: University of Michigan and the Ohio State University

I am planning on applying to these two schools for their dual LA/planning program. Can anyone give me the 411 on these two schools? What are the professors like, studio (I have seen pictures of Knowlton Hall at OSU and it looks like one giant room). Is it noisy? What are the different types of projects? Do they really stress AutoCAD? What design internships and jobs after school are available to students in these double-masters program?

Thanks

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I cannot tell you about Michigan (nor would I want to ) but I can tell you about Ohio State. Knowlton Hall was designed by architects who had no understanding of how the space would be used. It is confusing and cold. In general it is a horrible building... BUT the space does not make the student. Noise is not an issue, as all classrooms are in actual rooms, not in the open space.

The saving grace is the flexibility and opportunities that Ohio State gives. There are many different project opportunities, with studios in many subjects. They have the Dresden Program and the Mississippi Studio, which allow students to leave Columbus and do work in other parts of the world. In planning AutoCAD is not stressed, but you do take a course where AutoCAD is a part of it. It isn't difficult, just time consuming if you are not proficient.

As for internships, Ohio State helps most students get an internship around Columbus, and a few get a tuition waiver as well for the work they do. As a dual degree student, you will probably not have enough time to be working as well as being a student.

Hope that helps, if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck on your choice.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I had a feeling Knowlton Hall is not a very inviting place, it looks wayyy too large and I have seen pictures of several classes going on simulataneously in one large hall on the first floor. I have also seen the floor plans of this building and the classrooms are in separate rooms. Are the studios for landscape architecture and architecture students, or do planners also have them? If so, are these open only to planners pursuing an urban design speciality? Can you offer any advice on what it is like working in studio, since I will be spending most of my time there (I guess that is where the question of noisy comes in. I can get easily distracted with loud music, and I had to work in architecture studio with earplugs).

I know I will be spending alot of time in studio, so how close are apartments and dorms to the building. I am preferring to rent an apartment instead of living in a dorm again (I lived in a dorm all through college) and would like to find preferably a one bedroom apartment.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Architecture and sometimes LA studios are in the open. Most classes are not. Planning studio is much smaller, so they are normally not. Planning has studios, they are just not as big of a part of the eduation, as in Architecture of LA.

I would say that if you have trouble with people being noisy, Knowlton isn't going to help that.

P.s. OSU doesn't have a great Urban Design program. Uni. of Michigan does. If that is why you are doing a Dual Degree, might I suggest just getting a Master in Urban Design from Michigan?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2013, 11:12 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 1:37 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2009, 2:26 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Feb 2006, 2:37 PM
  5. University of Michigan
    Student Commons