Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Resumes

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

Resumes

We are trying to hire someone...and it amazes me how poorly applicants put together their resume...especially planners who are supposed to be communicators.

Here are just a few points:
    1. Put what is relevant to what you are applying to first. If all you have is your education,,,fine.. put your degree first. A job seeker shouldn't have to search your resume to see why you may be eligible.

2. If you have years of experience...do not go more than 2 pages... they do get tossed or looked at last. If you think it is necessary...then make sure the resume is separate from project history.

3. I would tend to leave off personal interests... and keep them separate from professional interests if you put them on your resume at all.

4. Don't jam a single page with words either...

5. Read your writing over...I can't believe it when I see typos!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

see, we took Frank's class at ESF so we know these things...

good idea for a thread and yes to all your points!

also, since I just hired someone for an entry level position so I received a lot of resumes from planners fresh out of school, and I looked at over 60 resumes, here's my comments on resumes:
    • use bullets to hit the high points - if I can run through a resume quick and see yes, they have a planning degree and yes here's their internship or whatever, then I go back and read all the print and not chuck it - Bold font on just a little phrase to send the quick message that yes, I meet the basic qualifications is so helpful!
    • avoid colloquialisms - I received a resume with a cover letter that poked fun at the Maine accent - how do you know that I am from away, after all?
    • do what the job notice tells you - if a cover letter, resume, references and writing sample are requested, do it - I threw out a lot of resumes because they simply did not follow directions - not following directions is a bad radar sign to a manager
    • write a good cover letter - it's another way to show someone that you can write clearly and concisely - and please use complete sentences
    • don't get mad at us if we don't hire you - you never know where you may run into that person again - this profession is a small world and we talk

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    a couple of other things to add, especially to entry level:

1. When writting a coverletter, don't tell me I WANT I WANT I WANT...well, I guess that would possibly work if you were paying us to emply you
    2. Don't include a bunch of software programs that you don't know. How many non-GIS planners know C++ and Cisco?
    3. Bullets all the way. Bold face stands out more instead of italics and underlining.
    4. Paginate. Period.
    5. I love to introduce new fonts, use them with restraint (such as headings and/or subheadings, and most importantly, make sure they read well

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    yes... what my dad used to say...use the KISS method... Keep It Simple Stupid. Flash usually falls apart unless you are really good.

And on the cover letter... I think less formal and sincere is better than something that sounds like you copied it from some resume place. Find out something about the area.. and say what makes you interested in the area...

Also.. when listing jobs...dont list dates first...list the job!

Registered
    Dec 2006
    What's more important...bullets or keeping it to one page (for a more or less entry-level resume)?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    1 page for entry level - shouldn't go to 2, imho and I know people disagree with me, until you hit the 10 year mark, or, if you are in academia

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    If you had to choose between bullets or keeping it to one page, I would go with bullets. By the time I graduated college, I had worked at 5 planning internships, either during the school year or over the summer, each one not less than 3 months (I was the exception to the rule).

I had also included a couple of semester long student projects (writing a neighborhood plan for the college town, a couple of PUD site plans, etc) which were also separate from the internships that were also in the resume. Now that I think of it, some of these should have been in my portfolio because I was already going onto page 3 of my resume.

Bottom line, make sure your resume reads well. If you use bullets, you don't need to have full sentences. Embellish your accomplishments, but don't turn it into meaningless fluff (i.e. your discovery of a shortcut in your GIS internship is probably not going to revolutionize mapmaking as we know it).

Registered
    Jan 2006
    With entry level, I always look for a one page kick-a$$ cover letter that is perfect in all ways. If I get that, I'll start looking at the resume.

Also good advice from l p, as usual!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I must say...our last resume and cover letter that came in was excellent...maybe someone read this board!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. One page resumes
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Aug 2011, 6:02 PM
  2. Portfolios and resumes
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Aug 2009, 9:29 PM
  3. Should I send out resumes when no job is posted?
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Aug 2009, 2:36 PM
  4. Sample resumes?
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Mar 2007, 2:07 AM
  5. 2 page resumes
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 07 May 2006, 5:17 PM