Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP/APA dues

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

AICP/APA dues

This year they make you sign a statement saying you pay the dues according to salary.
    Rant:
    I have an issue with the due rates...cost of living is sky high by me...and my salary is adjusted for it. I don't think it is fair to pay the higher dues just because I make more... it costs a lot to live where I do.

I would be curious to see if what people pay really matches their salary and if they get a raise, do they give APA/AICP a raise....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    it's ironic in a profession that prides itself on seeing the whole picture that we would have a flat rate for dues based on salary

as you say, making more doesn't necessarily mean you have more to spend on dues

not sure what the solution is except to have a flat dues rate for everyone

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by tsc View post
    This year they make you sign a statement saying you pay the dues according to salary.
    Rant:
    I have an issue with the due rates...cost of living is sky high by me...and my salary is adjusted for it. I don't think it is fair to pay the higher dues just because I make more... it costs a lot to live where I do.

I would be curious to see if what people pay really matches their salary and if they get a raise, do they give APA/AICP a raise....
    The simple answer to you questions are:
    1) Yes I pay the salary match and
    2) No they will not get a raise with me until I have an employer who pays my dues.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I think APA needs major reform. The only reason I pay my dues is to place it on my resume. I wish their was an alternative to APA/AICP
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by tsc View post
    Rant:

Simple solution: lie about your salary. I save the taxpayers money in this fashion.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've been putting off AICP forever b/c of the Dues BS. Not to mention they force me to pay dues to a State Chapter as well (which is one of the highest prices in the US).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 14 Jan 2014, 9:57 PM
  2. Why are AICP/APA dues insane?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 19 Apr 2011, 4:55 PM
  3. Does your agency pay for your APA/AICP dues?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 43
    Last post: 01 May 2007, 12:50 PM
  4. APA/AICP dues paid by jurisdiction?
    APA Los Angeles Section (archive)
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Oct 2005, 12:05 AM
  5. AICP dues
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Jul 2001, 10:08 AM