Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: MN planner-type working in real estate ISO his place

Registered
    Mar 2007

MN planner-type working in real estate ISO his place

Here's a little introduction:

+ Life-long Minneapolis resident (city of).
    + Young (24).
    + Graduated w/ concentration in Urban Studies at the University of Minnesota.
    + Life-long urbanist and planner.
    + Walker and biker, sometimes transit rider but work is within walking distance.
    + Traveler. And yes, like most of you, I take pictures of streetscape elements, set-backs, etc.
    + Work for a real estate developer (urban infill, commercial primarily), spent 1.5 years in commercial brokerage work, now starting to do finance work (refinancing, development work, etc).
    + Involved in local politics, business association, planning studies, etc.
    + Urban nerd.
    + In search of a greater urban understanding, a passion to ask the questions and present useful information to further the conversation of improving our communities.
    + An operational strategist.

I'm excited to read these forums and contribute. A lot of information seems to exist here and that's a great resource.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome from downeast Maine!

hey, did the state ever build a Labor History Center in St Paul? I located one there for the state in 1990 and I never heard if it got built or not -

anyway, welcome, and remember you will be the Cyburbian host for the APA conference in 09 - no pressure...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River, in the Central Daylight Time Zone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    They built the Minnesota History Center in St. Paul not that many years ago (90s?), which I believe covers labor history. Just recently the Mill City Museum opened in Minneapolis, showcasing our rich milling history. It's in a mill ruin on the river. Pretty neat.

I should probably rejoin the APA. I had a less-than-desirable experience at the conference in DC a number of years ago and decided to not continue the membership. I've since joined ULI and NAIOP. Next on the radar is the International Downtown Association. But I'm sure I'll rejoin by 2009, and if not, I'm more than happy to share Minneapolis with the rest of you.

I'm excited to be a part of this community, as I've mainly focused on a local development forum...and am turned off by SkyScraperCity. This is much more professional and useful.

Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from massachusetts!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Irving, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 23
    Last post: 06 Jul 2013, 12:36 PM
  2. Owning real estate as a planner
    Career Development and Advice