Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help with possible relocation

Registered
    Oct 2005

Help with possible relocation

I'm currently living and working in Middlesex Cty. NJ. Married for 3 months and already the wife is trying to lure me down south (she's originally from ATL). Some opportunities have come up where that move might be bumped sooner than later. However, being Jersey born and bred I'm not too familiar with living down south.

For a Jersey boy, where down south could I settle and feel comfortable. I'm pretty religious so the bible belt doesn't scare me in that way. I'd like to live near a college or university but probablay not a huge state university. I would like to be near water, preferably the ocean. Also, having a walkable down town either to live in or be nearby is important to me, Wal Mart is important to her.

So far we've found Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC as possible areas to move. If you have any info on these areas good or bad, and please be more fact based than opinions at this point. I would appreciate it, or are there areas we've missed. Also, has anyone ever visited Harve de Grace, MD? I always pass it on my way down 95 but never pulled off, it's at the mouth of the Chessapeak and might warrant a look too.

Thanks!
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    So far we've found Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC as possible areas to move.
    If you're looking at those two, you might as well add Savannah to the list.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I'm currently living and working in Middlesex Cty. NJ. Married for 3 months and already the wife is trying to lure me down south (she's originally from ATL). Some opportunities have come up where that move might be bumped sooner than later. However, being Jersey born and bred I'm not too familiar with living down south.

For a Jersey boy, where down south could I settle and feel comfortable. I'm pretty religious so the bible belt doesn't scare me in that way. I'd like to live near a college or university but probablay not a huge state university. I would like to be near water, preferably the ocean. Also, having a walkable down town either to live in or be nearby is important to me, Wal Mart is important to her.

So far we've found Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC as possible areas to move. If you have any info on these areas good or bad, and please be more fact based than opinions at this point. I would appreciate it, or are there areas we've missed. Also, has anyone ever visited Harve de Grace, MD? I always pass it on my way down 95 but never pulled off, it's at the mouth of the Chessapeak and might warrant a look too.

Thanks!
    I wouldn't say Havre de Grace is 'down south'. I think The Throbbing Brain had this discussion before, 'down south' doesn't begin until you get south of Richmond. Havre de Grace is an 'OK' town. Not much going for it, unless you count being on US 40, near I-95 and has a station for the MARC (commuter rail). I haven't been to the historic part of the town yet. BTW, nearby Aberdeen is supposed to receive a heavy dose of jobs due to a recent BRAC decision.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    I wouldn't say Havre de Grace is 'down south'. I think The Throbbing Brain had this discussion before, 'down south' doesn't begin until you get south of Richmond. Havre de Grace is an 'OK' town. Not much going for it, unless you count being on US 40, near I-95 and has a station for the MARC (commuter rail). I haven't been to the historic part of the town yet. BTW, nearby Aberdeen is supposed to receive a heavy dose of jobs due to a recent BRAC decision.
    Why isn't it 'down south'??? There's a Waffle House™ along US 40 in or very near to Harve de Grace, MD!

(yes, I've been in Harve de Grace)

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I absolutely loved living in Charleston. It's a beautiful place with a decent nightlife, and if you're in to eating out the city probably has the biggest collection good restaurants of any place its size in the Eastern Seaboard. I spent five years dinning out, going to the beach and then going out afterwards, and my grades sometimes reflected that.
    It was a great time and still having friends and family there makes it one of my favorite annual visits. However, a lot has changed in the past 10 years and Charleston is very, very gentrified. So you better be making bank if you intend to live in the walkable and historic core of the city. Outside of this core there is really nothing to distinguish the Charleston metro from any other flat, Southern coastal sprawl.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Compromise? Cape May?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I always joke that south Jersey is below the Mason Dixon Line (the bottom parallel of PA is the line). But that's not south enough for her. I won't be making the big bucks so living in the city is many years away, however there are some new urbanist communities and others that have great design codes, rear alleys and detatched garages that look very nice for under 200k in Summerville and surrounding areas there. As long as we could go into Charleston any time we wanted is really the draw right now.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I lived in North Charleston in '99. I worked downtown (at King & Beaufain). Downtown Charleston is great. A beautiful place. If you can afford it.

If you're into water sports it's a great place. If you're into a quiet place and you're not much into going out it's a great place.

I was bored out of my mind at the end of 6 months. I'm from the Jersey Shore and I appreciated going to the beach in November but it's a small metro. Much smaller than Monmouth/Ocean and with no NYC or Philly energy nearby. It doesn't take long to do everything there is to do then, you're left driving an hour and a half to visit nearby cities of the same size. It's a looong drive from Chuck to ATL. You're often better off taking a commuter flight.

You mentioned religion . . . most "religious" people from NJ are Catholic. While you'll find more catholics in Charleston than most other places in the southeast the religious culture is very different than what you're probably used to dealing with in NJ.

IMO, you're better off with the beach at a distance and moving to Columbia, SC (100 miles away) because while the downtown is not nearly as inspiring as Charleston it's afordable and with USC there you'll find a bit more going on. It's also 100 miles closer to ATL.

I always encourage people to move and experience different people and places. Just be prepared.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jresta View post
    It doesn't take long to do everything there is to do then, you're left driving an hour and a half to visit nearby cities of the same size. It's a looong drive from Chuck to ATL. You're often better off taking a commuter flight.
    I would somewhat echo what jresta said. After a little more than one year, we are pretty much bored with Wilmington. The ocean, beaches and downtown are really the only attractions. There are few parks, entertainment options, places to stroll/shop and the nearest city of any significant size (Raleigh) is 130 miles away. The job market is extremely limited and the pay is far below the cost of living. However, planners make very decent livings.

I would recommend it for a couple ready to start a family, as the quality of life is superb for young families. Homes are still relatively affordable and the city has good public schools, a downtown community college and a large university. We are still into a more active and exciting lifestyle.

P.S. We absolutely love Charleston, but we have never lived there. I would suggest that you also look at Raleigh.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

From NJ eh? Well, the place for you is BROWARD COUNTY FLORIDA .....you'll feel right at home....decent pizza (NY Style) Forget about walkability though....and connectivity....but the congestion will make you feel right at home.....and the "in your face" attitudes.... Oh and the housing market has collapsed in the last year....leaving you with some decent priced housing down there......good luck finding a job now though......

He he he......

I'm the Gilligan to Florida Cyburbites Skipper today....visualize the one getting hit with RJ's/ZG's white hat for getting out of line

Last edited by The One; 16 Mar 2007 at 4:09 PM. Reason: because i felt like it....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Calling all Central Fl peeps, I may need a bit of advice for good areas to scope out/avoid for relocating in the very near future I don't want to jinx anything yet
    In the beginning there was nothing...then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said "Get a job". That is the story of the universe.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WouldBePlanner View post
    Calling all Central Fl peeps, I may need a bit of advice for good areas to scope out/avoid for relocating in the very near future I don't want to jinx anything yet
    My parents love the Ocala area and downtown Orlando is supposed to be cool.

Registered
    Dec 2005

Havre de Grace - I dont consider south??

If you are considering Havre de Grace (my ancestors settled there from Europe ) move QUICKLY. MD's real estate is pretty hot and HD is on the way up, like North Omaha Star mentioned, BRAC is basically happening as we speak - we expect some REAL transportation challenges up that way.

I could never live in Havre de Grace - BORING.

I have a few friends who live in Charleston and love it.

If it isn't too personal, are you planning to buy or rent and in what range?
    Last edited by jkellerfsu; 16 Mar 2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: punctuation

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    From NJ eh? Well, the place for you is BROWARD COUNTY FLORIDA .....you'll feel right at home....decent pizza (NY Style) RJ's/ZG's white hat for getting out of line
    Even with there housing market deflating, you will be hard pressed to find affordable housing that you want raise any kids in. I was born and rasied in SOFL and I rate it as a NO BUY.

I like Savanna, love Tybee island. A great lifestyle that reminds me of SOFL twenty-thiry years ago.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Relocation: what would you sacrifice?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jul 2010, 4:08 PM
  2. Server relocation
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Apr 2009, 10:55 PM
  3. Relocation package
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Jul 2008, 9:36 AM
  4. Relocation (?)