Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Purchase of Development Rights (PDR) anyone?

Registered
    Mar 2006

Purchase of Development Rights (PDR) anyone?

Who here works someplace that has a PDR program, or knows of a PDR program someplace else? I'm trying to come up with a list of existing PDR programs, and how exactly they all work.

Thanks.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    Abbreviations in thread titles make it hard for people to know what you're asking for....please spell out your acronym....you'll probably get a better response that way. Thanks!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I am curious, why a PDR over a TDR?
    You may have to contact these and speak to a live person actually doing the contracts.....

Alachua uses PDRs and TDRs.

http://growth-management.alachua.fl....incentives.htm

I think these guys use PDRs and TDRs.

http://www.conserveflorida.org/projects.html

A good read to other possible leads...

http://www.plannersweb.com/wfiles/w140.html
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    My county has an award-winning PDR program that has been really successful- I think we've preserved something like 40 square miles of land (of course, some of that includes Ted Turners' massive ranch...). I'm about to PM you.

Also, to respond to Flying Monkey- in my county, it was easier to sell the PDR program versus a TDR program because of a couple of reasons: 1) the main argument was, "if the people want to preserve open space and ag land, they should buy it". This leads to point 2): developers didn't want to pay for it. Developers have the (very valid) argument that good development in the right place should be the path of least resistance; making them pay for TDR's wouldn't make them happy. And when you're growing as fast as we are, developers wield a lot of power. Politicians like to make them happy.
    Last edited by vaughan; 12 Mar 2007 at 5:06 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    I am curious, why a PDR over a TDR?
    We are looking into starting a PDR program in my fair county. Maybe TDRs eventually, too. But, in the immediate future some PDR money may become available.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our county has a TDR ordinance that's been in effect for just over a year. It's an attempt to prevent development on a barrier island and avoid takings claims when we deny development on the island. Here's the linky.

http://www.co.bay.fl.us/bcds/planning/ldr/ldr_ch32.pdf

Registered
    Feb 2007
    The County did a TDR IN 2004 or early 2005. By the end of 2005, they had done one successfully, which is better than the New Castle County attempt years ealier (from what I understand).

It's somewhere here: www.co.kent.de.us/Departments/Planning .

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Based on your location, I'm guessing it is likely you know about this one already, but others reading the thread may not. Town of Dunn, just south of Madison, Wisconsin, has a very successful PDR program in an area with high development pressure. They have a waiting list for property owners interested in participating. It is partially funded through a dedicated local tax with the remaining part coming from various grant sources. Check their website for more info.

http://town.dunn.wi.us/PurchaseofDevelopmentRights.aspx

Registered
    Dec 2002
    There are quite a few PDR programs in Michigan, most being either county or township programs that tie into the state's "Agriculture Preservation Fund." Most of the county programs started up 4-5 years ago - but most are struggling to do anything due to a lack of local and state funding. The State PDR program, which provides grant funds to local programs, has no money and it doesn't appear that they will have any for a while.

There are some examples of successful PDR programs across the state...some have had luck securing funding from philanthropic sources. Others have forged good relationships with land trusts.

Peninsula Township has been very successful. Also check out Kent County and Washtenaw County, which has seen lots of involvement with land trusts and township programs.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Registered
    Mar 2005
    For us amateurs, lemme see if I get this right

PDR = purchase of development rights – means that the public body pays the landowner some money and in return the landowner, while retaining the deed to the property and its sue in it present state of development, cannot develop if further or sell it to someone else to develop further.

TDR = transferable/transfer of development rights – means that landowners (all? Some?) have limited development rights but they can sell those on (thereby relinquishing them to someone else who can then develop more intensively using his rights plus the purchased ones).

Or not?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    For us amateurs, lemme see if I get this right

PDR = purchase of development rights – means that the public body pays the landowner some money and in return the landowner, while retaining the deed to the property and its sue in it present state of development, cannot develop if further or sell it to someone else to develop further.

TDR = transferable/transfer of development rights – means that landowners (all? Some?) have limited development rights but they can sell those on (thereby relinquishing them to someone else who can then develop more intensively using his rights plus the purchased ones).

Or not?
    Right on the PDR, but with TDR there is a little more to it, involving "sending areas" where you don't want development, and "receiving areas" where you do want it, and developers are the ones to buy development rights of the sending areas, in order to build in the receiving areas.

Thanks for your help y'all. I thought I'd share that to the best of my research abilities, this is the grand-daddy of a list I've come up with (just PDRs). Some are land trusts, that don't refer to themselves as PDRs specifically, but they basically function as PDR programs. I still have to go through and make sure all of these are totally legit programs, still in affect.

County PDR Programs:

California
    Marin County
    Monterey County
    Napa County
    Sonoma County
    Alameda County
    Yolo County

Colorado
    Gunnison County
    Routt County

Illinois
    Kane County

Maryland
    Anne Arundel County
    Baltimore County
    Calvert County
    Caroline County
    Carroll County
    Frederick County
    Harford County
    Howard County
    Kent County
    Montgomery County
    Washington County

Michigan
    Kent County
    Washtenaw County

Minnesota
    Washington County

Montana
    Gallatin County

New Jersey
    Burlington County
    Cumberland County
    Hunterdon County
    Monmouth County
    Morris County
    Sussex County

New York
    Suffolk County

North Carolina
    Forsyth County

Pennsylvania
    Adams County
    Berks County
    Bucks County
    Chester County
    Lancaster County
    Lehigh County
    Manheim County
    York County

Washington
    King County
    San Juan County
    Skagit County

Statewide PDR Programs
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Massachusetts
    Vermont

Town/Township PDR Programs
    Peninsula Township, Michigan
    Town of Southold, New York
    Buckingham Township, Pennsylvania
    Town of Dunn, Wisconsin

City PDR Programs
    Virginia Beach, Virginia

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Federal Program

Tahoe Regional Planning Assn.: to diminish building 1000' around Lake Tahoe, CA to protect lake clarity.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Within Washtenaw County, Michigan, Ann Arbor has its own PDR program, which they call a "greenbelt" - they've got a dedicated "greenbelt millage", with most of the funds to be used to purchase development rights within a designated donut of land around the city. They prioritize land within Townships that also have a PDR program, so at least a few of the Townships have passed their own PDR millages to provide matches to Ann Arbor's funds.

As I understand it, the reason A2 went for a PDR rather than a TDR (aside from the political backlash that comes from any attempt to increase density anywhere in A2), is that Michigan's legislation specifically enables PDR, but does not address TDR. Since most development in central Ann Arbor is by Planned Unit Development or Planned Project (sort of a PUD-lite), a few folks have proposed approximating a TDR by granting extra density during the PUD/PP process to developments in exchange for contributions into the greenbelt fund. One the one hand, this is pretty shady - A2 relies on a horrible zoning ordinance to force all developments to be done by PUD or PP, then milks the developers for all they can. On the other hand, this method of approximating TDR means that the "sending" site is chosen through a pretty carefully defined and coordinated process designed to maximize protection of "sensitive" or contiguous parcels, rather than being whatever the developer manages to round up that happens to be in a sending zone.

Pdr/tdr

Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Who here works someplace that has a PDR program, or knows of a PDR program someplace else? I'm trying to come up with a list of existing PDR programs, and how exactly they all work.

Thanks.
    I've attached a file that I picked up somewhere along the way that summarizes TDR programs - at least I think I've actually attached it!
    Attached Files Attached Files

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Jun 2007, 3:56 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 May 2007, 9:08 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Aug 2001, 1:21 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Oct 1998, 2:30 PM
  5. Zoning Transfer of development rights