Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NYC: construction on 2nd Av ('T' line) Subway to begin

Registered
    Mar 2004

NYC: construction on 2nd Av ('T' line) Subway to begin

After 80+ years of waiting, it looks like work to relieve the dangerously overcrowded Lexington Av subway is finally about to begin. NYC - MTA will be signing a contract worth $333M for construction on the first leg of the looooong awaited 2nd Av Subway (the 'T' line) within the next couple of weeks with work to begin sometime in April or May.

http://www.amny.com/news/local/am-su...ocal-headlines

Fascinating.

Mike

I'm excited too. It's pretty amazing how quickly this went from "it's just another false start pipe dream" to being so close to a reality. Let's just hope it doesn't get canned part-way through like the last time they started building it.

All of the stations will be air-conditioned. Although I haven't seen any firm facts, the line will probably be set up for CBTC (communications-based train control--meaning automated trains with arrival info display boards and shorter headways) and might even be wired for cellular telephone reception (like the D.C. subways). I only wish it would be done before 2020!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    It will probably be built CBTC-ready, but I doubt it be automated from the start--the Q (currently terminates @ 7th & 57th) is expected to run up 2nd Ave; because the Q intermingles with so many other lines, it would mean CBTC automated on pretty much all of Division B (i.e. IND and BMT) would have to be operational in order for the SAS to be automated.

My bet is that the L and the 7 will take another 6-7 years to be completely automatic. It's doubtful that I'll see a completely automated NYC Subway system in my lifetime.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    More goodies on this interesting project:

http://www.mta.info/capconstr/sas/index.html

I'm most amazed that that 'Q' line tunnel under Central Park is currently sitting unused, that is a neat line extension idea and it will be a very popular route - connecting those dense upper East Side neighborhoods with central Midtown. MTA is projecting 200K riders/day on that first segment.

I am also amazed that those two El lines (2nd Av and 3rd Av) were removed back in 1942 and 1956 with no alternates. They should have been kept until the subway replacement was open.

---------

Now - - to get a subway line extended under the harbor to Staten Island (or is that too much of a wacked-out pipedream? )

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    More goodies on this interesting project:

http://www.mta.info/capconstr/sas/index.html

I'm most amazed that that 'Q' line tunnel under Central Park is currently sitting unused, that is a neat line extension idea and it will be a very popular route - connecting those dense upper East Side neighborhoods with central Midtown. MTA is projecting 200K riders/day on that first segment.
    They planned for the SAS many, many times and made a lot of accomodations for it.

I am also amazed that those two El lines (2nd Av and 3rd Av) were removed back in 1942 and 1956 with no alternates. They should have been kept until the subway replacement was open.
    I don't think they anticipated the current ridership.

---------

Now - - to get a subway line extended under the harbor to Staten Island (or is that too much of a wacked-out pipedream? )

Mike
    There's no way that a Brooklyn-SI subway could compete with the 25-minute SI Ferry ride... the only wins would be for Brooklyn-SI commuters (currently served by bus) or for one-seat SI-Manhattan rides (probably not many would be served by this unless both an east-side and a west-side line went over.)

Either way I don't think it would be remotely feasible... especially compared to (somewhat) more feasible projects like 7-Chelsea extension and some of the *pipe dream* Queens expansions.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    That is terrific news. Actually, construction on the 2nd Ave line started decades ago. I grew up in downtown Manhattan near 2nd Ave, and clearly remember them digging a segment of the new tunnel in the mid to late 70s. So glad this is finally back on track!!!

     
    Registered
    May 2007
    wow. this is truly excitting I must admit! I have been following this for some time and now it looks like it's gonna happen. does anyone remember the old number eight line that was elevated. I believe it was the number el. I speaking of the el that was torn down in the seventies.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. So when does Spring begin ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 25 Feb 2013, 8:18 PM
  2. When did suburbia begin?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Nov 2012, 6:11 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 11:41 AM