Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LEED accredited professional test?

Registered
    Dec 2001

LEED accredited professional test?

I've begun studying for this recently, the New Construction Exam. Has anyone else taken or thought about this?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    There's been some talk around the office of somebody getting the LEED certifications in preparation for adopting green building standards. As it stands, I'm probably the most likely person and am definitely interested in hearing more about the tests, etc.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    after I get the Code Enforcement Officer trained in Army Corps method of wetland flagging, I will have her seek LEEDS certification -

I think it's important to have someone in the agency know this, especially if you use green building in any of your codes/bylaws/ordinances

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I will be taking the test this year. Are you planning to attend any of the courses?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'll be taking it at some point this year, and like Jeff, I'll be taking the LEED-NC exam. I wish they'd release their LEED for Homes standard, because LEED-NC is more oriented toward commercial development, and my day-to-day work revolved around housing development.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    I'll be taking it at some point this year, and like Jeff, I'll be taking the LEED-NC exam. I wish they'd release their LEED for Homes standard, because LEED-NC is more oriented toward commercial development, and my day-to-day work revolved around housing development.
    OT: are you going to the New England New Urbanism conference in your fair city? I'm speaking in the afternoon!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    My word, I didn't even know that the New Urbanism conference was happening here in Mill City! Looks like I'll have to go.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    LEED isn't even on the radar screen where I work.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    LEED isn't even on the radar screen where I work.

I hear there's a great watershed planning seminar coming up. (Sorry Dan, I had to say it)

Just curious, but does anyone know how much the tests and certification cost? I'm pretty familiar with the points system, etc. for LEED, but have not looked into the certification all that much.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our county is building a new library and county gov't complex. When I suggested we look into LEED buildings, I was laughed out of the meeting room.
    I went back to my desk fort.

It doesn't seem that the whole LEED movement has gotten too far as of yet. You just don't here much about it. In fact, not ONCE, in any of my classes for my masters in URP, was the topic ever mentioned
    In the beginning there was nothing...then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said "Get a job". That is the story of the universe.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    In the CDC field, it's actually making quite a lot of progress. It's all the rage within housing development these days. I do remember hearing about it during grad school also, but that's also because we had a faculty member writing a dissertation on Green affordable housing.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I haven't taken the test and with all that's on my plate I doubt I'll get around to it for a while.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Our county is building a new library and county gov't complex. When I suggested we look into LEED buildings, I was laughed out of the meeting room.
    I went back to my desk fort.
    That's a real shame. LEED is a big deal in my fair 'burgh. Although, it's something that doesn't seem to be on the current administration's radar, the local foundations, green building groups, and a few planners, would be screaming from the rooftops if a building that received government money wasn't at least going for LEED certified silver.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    LEED was all over the WI APA conference last week. I've got two proposals coming up that are both aims for LEED certification. WI has 9 communitites that have adopted the Eco-municipality standards, and I hear there are more on deck. I'd like to get my fair city moving in that direction too.

I'd also like to hear more about the LEED certification, and costs to get such. If I can apply it to what I'm doing, it can't do anything but help me in my position and career.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Oct 2005

LEED Info

The current version of LEED for New Construction is 2.2 which is a significantly harder test than 2.1. There is a wonderful study guide available for $50 ($40 for members) on the Colorado Chapter of the US Green Building Council's website. I'm not sure if I can post URLs, but if you go to the usgbc.org site then to chapters, then colorado and scroll down you'll find the guide. It's the only one I know of and really quite well done and an invaluable aid for taking the test.

The official workshops are rather expensive but worth it (especially if your company's paying and you're short on time) and to take the test costs $350 and can be done most anywhere in the US and is very flexible about when as well.

Also, LEED for Neighborhood Developments, co-sponsored by the CNU, NRDC, and USGBC, is currently (until April 6th) accepting applications for pilot projects and will be going online sometime in 08. At the very least it's an intriguing checklist of best practices for both planners and developers of neighborhood scale projects, and I'd be curious to hear opinions. It's also available on the USGBC website under LEED>ND.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'm taking the LEED NC 2.2 exam in a few weeks. Boston has a new requirement that all buildings 50,000 sf and larger must be LEED qualified. I've been reviewing the LEED guidebook, but think I'll have to study quite a bit. The energy and materials sections seem pretty technical.

Has anyone taken the NC 2.2 exam? Any tips?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by WouldBePlanner View post
    It doesn't seem that the whole LEED movement has gotten too far as of yet. You just don't here much about it. In fact, not ONCE, in any of my classes for my masters in URP, was the topic ever mentioned
    When did you finish planning school? LEED was introduced when I was in school - 2003 - 2005. I think it's starting to catch on, on the coasts at least.

Registered
    Apr 2007

LEED flashcards

I have put together a website for people that are seeking information on the LEED AP Exam. There are flashcards available and links to other sites.

http://cards.saegerdesign.com

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planners LEED-AP accredited
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 03 Jul 2013, 10:40 AM
  2. LEED Professional?
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Jul 2012, 10:23 PM
  3. Tough question on LEED test