Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone for cricket? If so, pop in here for chat on the World Cup

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session

Anyone for cricket? If so, pop in here for chat on the World Cup

The Cricket World Cup is being held RIGHT NOW in the West Indies. The competition format is as follows:

1st Round - Group stage, consisting of four groups with four teams in each group. Each team plays each other once (i.e. 3 games each in the group stage). The top 2 teams from each group advance to the 2nd Round.

2nd Round - a knockout affair played over one game. winner advances to next round.

This repeats til there are two teams left. And that last game is the final!

Simple eh?

Each match is played as a 'on-day' game, so 50 overs (consisting of 6 balls an over) per team to slog as many runs as possible. I think thats all you need to know right now, but any questions do ask and I'll do my best!

The Groups (favourites in bold)

Group A: Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Netherlands
    Group B: Bermuda, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India
    Group C: Kenya, New Zealand, England, Canada
    Group D: West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Pakistan

(I've given the West Indies a 'favourite' tag for playing on home soil, but they're a shadow of the 1970s/80s team).

So far there have 3 matches, with the following results:

West Indies beat Pakistan by 54 runs
    Kenya beat Canada by 7 wickets
    Australia beat Scotland by 204 runs

if a team beats another team by 'wickets' it means that the losers were batting first and posted a score that was beaten by the winners when they batted. for example, Canada batted first and posted a score of 199 with all their batsmen dismissed. Kenya achieved 203 with only 3 batsmen being dismissed. As there are 10 'batters' Kenya had 7 wickets (or batsmen) spare.

if a team beats another team by 'runs' it means the winners were batting first, posted a score that the losers couldn't match in their batting. For example, Australia batted first and achieved 334 runs. Scotland batted second and could only manage 131 before all their batsmen were dismissed.

Today, Ireland are playing Zimbabwe.

So. I've bamboozled you enough now. I doubt those of you in the US will get ANY TV coverage whatsoever, so i suspect this thread will be the preserve of the smattering of Commonwealth inhabitants that visit here every so often

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I couldn't believe that the Windies beat out Pak with only a 241! The slam that Inzamam al-Huq ) gave his team in public was crazy!

Oz which is my personal favorite to win, killed Scotland 334-131 yesterday. Ponting mustered a century+ to win player of the match. I would have loved to watch the match.

The Sri Lanka-Bermuda match is on lunch right now as I write this but Sri Lanka has posted 321 runs and 6 wickets for their turn at bat. Have to wait and see how Bermuda does.

The Ireland-Zimbabwe match is on a rain delay with the score sitting at 171 runs, 6 wickets for Ireland with 8 overs left. Zimbabwe has yet to bat.

I developed my taste for cricket when I visited India in 2004 and there were a series of ODI's being held between India, Oz, South Africa, and W. Indies.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I developed my taste for cricket when I visited India in 2004 and there were a series of ODI's being held between India, Oz, South Africa, and W. Indies.
    Go India!! I became a cricket fan the same way, visiting in-laws in India when the '02 World Cup was going on.

There is some pay-per-view coverage in the US, and my local Asian theater is showing the weekday games for free, and a few bucks for the weekend games. I am trying to sneak away from work next Monday and Friday for the Bermuda and Sri Lanka matches.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Sri Lanka wins over Bermuda 321-78...embarrassing rout for Bermuda considering it's near their home turf.

Zimbabwe is currently chasing Ireland's 221/9 with a score of 64/1 with 37 overs to go. If they keep it together they should be able to win.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I have a cricket ball (or is it a pomagranite?)

That, plus fraternity paddles and white sweaters is all I know about the sport.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well most people here at Cyburbia know that Natski is a bit of a cricket nut (like all good aussies should be)

Ok ok England did beat us in the ODI in feb (i sat in the stands crying in sydney) but do remember the ashes score 5-0.

Yes the Ashes are irrelevant to the World Cup, but we are a gutsy team and there may be a chance we could pull it off again.

[rant] they arent playing the games on free to air here- all pay tv. man that sucks [rant]
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    [rant] they arent playing the games on free to air here- all pay tv. man that sucks [rant]

same here. rupert murdoch has his greedy hands on it...highlights on good old Aunty Beeb though

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Same here...gottta pay to get the goods.....

The Ireland-Zimbabwe match just ended in a tie.....talk about a thriller! Ireland 221/9 batting first and Zimbabwe 221/10. Only 3rd time a tie has happened in a World Cup match. I thought Zimbabwe was going to win the match by a good margin...they seemed to have pissed any momentum they had away....ah well.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    My mate has informed me he had 10 on Ireland to win. Needless to say he was a bit gutted!

Next up:

England v. New Zealand
    Netherlands v. South Africa

I'll tip England here (bias? moi?) and i think its fairly obvious that S. Afica are going to romp to victory...

England's James Anderson faces a late fitness test...he's broke his finger. Can't see us missing him though if he doesn't play. Both teams riding on a crest of a wave as well having both tonked Australia in recent one day games!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    England v. New Zealand
    Netherlands v. South Africa

I'll tip England here (bias? moi?) and i think its fairly obvious that S. Afica are going to romp to victory...
    I am with you on your picks.....SA will kick the Netherlands all the way home and I think England will win over NZ, but not easily or by much.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    England currently 27 for 1 off 8 overs. Joyce out in the first over! Vaughan and Bell at the crease now. COME ON ENGLAND!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    38/2. (13 overs) Bell out.

Vaughan and KP at the crease.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    52/3 Vaughan out. Uh-oh... who'd have thunk it...another thoroughly miserable England batting collapse...

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    52/3 Vaughan out. Uh-oh... who'd have thunk it...another thoroughly miserable England batting collapse...
    Ha ha nothing unusual about that
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The Netherlands got their arses kicked by South Africa today 353-132, not even remotely close.

NZ won over England on wickets today, I was surprised that it wasn't a bitter fight to the end. 210 runs/4 wickets to 209 runs/7 wickets.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    a nightmare for england! seriously got concerns over our ability to beat Canada and Kenya at this rate...

On the plus side, as a kid I used to know Paul Nixon, the England wicketkeeper. Top fella!

Somebody apparently takes losing very badly indeed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americ...ath/index.html

Jamaican police are investigating the death of Pakistan's coach "by means of manual strangulation" as a murder. I've wanted to strangle a few folks in my lifetime, but never over a game.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Somebody apparently takes losing very badly indeed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americ...ath/index.html

Jamaican police are investigating the death of Pakistan's coach "by means of manual strangulation" as a murder. I've wanted to strangle a few folks in my lifetime, but never over a game.
    That sounds not unlike that Columbian football player whom was murdered shortly after scoring that 'own' goal vs the USA during the 1994 World Cup.

Mike

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    yeah, bit of a crazy weekend last weekend at the cricket.

England lose to New Zealand.
    Ireland beat Pakistan on St. Patrick's Day in possibly the largest upset in World Cup cricketing history.
    Bob Woolmer apparently murdered.
    England make heavy work of beating Canada on Sunday after vice captain Andrew Flintoff gets severly reprimanded for capsizing a pedalo at 4am in the morning, whilst drunk.

RIP Bob.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    This week has had some interesting matches and of course the unfortunate death of Bob Woolmer, may he rest in peace. It will mar the overall mood of the 2007 World Cup-Sambit Bal wrote an interesting editorial about the underlying tensions in cricket before it was determined that Woolmer was murdered.

Some good matches are on the schedule this weekend:

Sri Lanka v. India (could go either way depending on how they play)
    Ireland v. West Indies (this will be a great match, I think Windies can pull it off)
    Australia v. South Africa (Australia of course!)
    England v. Kenya (England is my pick)
    Bangladesh v. Bermuda (Bangladesh should win easily)

Next up Super 8's!

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Super 8's - it appears my brief explanation of the World Cup way back up there ^^^ got it completely wrong! So much so that I don't even know what happens in the Super 8s...anyone care to explain?!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    harry - the super 8's is a mini-league with the 8 remaining teams. you play 6 games (you don't play the team that came through the group with you. i.e. england won't play new zealand.)

at the end of the matches. the top 4 go into the semi-finals.

can't believe the end of the south africa v sri lanka match tonight. malinga took 4 wickets in 4 balls.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    yeah, I saw Malinga's wickets this morning on the news, quality!!

cheers for the clarification on the Super 8s!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    actually i should add, that although england won't play new zealand again in the super 8's, the result from the group game is carried over for use in the league. same with the other group games. for instance australia bt south africa in the groups, and west indies yesterday, so have 2 wins in the league.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Haiku Chat Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 85
    Last post: 15 Aug 2014, 6:38 PM
  2. The Cricket Chirping Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 06 Mar 2012, 12:46 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Oct 2010, 11:09 AM