Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Doing the MPA before planning: good, bad, ugly?

Registered
    May 2006

Doing the MPA before planning: good, bad, ugly?

Hello all,

Briefly, for reasons too numerous to cite, I managed to miss the deadline for planning applications for Fall of 2007 in Canada. In any case, I have applied to PSCI MA programs and MPA programs, and have heard the good news for all programs but one.

Since this year will be funded (it's a 12 month program), I don't feel too badly, but is an MPA + M.Sc in Planning (that's the degree here at University of Toronto) too much? Would it, for whatever reason, be looked at in a negative light?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    I don't see any reason it would be looked at negatively. It does sound like a lot of school, though, so make sure you get out of the classroom and intern at a planning dept, sit through lots of public meetings, get out in the field and meet planners, etc. The only thing that looks bad is going all the way through school and never experiencing the real world.

Registered
    May 2006
    Yeah, it does sound like quite a bit of schooling and not much experience, doesn't it... I shall try and supplant it with some volunteering experience in the meantime then.

Thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The good, the bad, and the ugly
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 09 Oct 2014, 4:58 PM
  2. Replies: 59
    Last post: 09 Nov 2013, 8:22 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Oct 2010, 12:07 AM
  4. 2010 SOTU - Good, Bad, Ugly?