Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is L.A. school hard?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    For you that have attended or know, how hard is L.A.? Is it close as diffucult as studying architecture? Is there a tremendous amount of engineering applied to it, or is it more limited? I have always assumed it is easier than studying Arch, and Engineering.

anyone? I just want to get a feel of how LA school is.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    No, it's not that hard, especially compared to architecture programs.

It seems like many architecture programs are trying to weed out their students, so the workload is heavier. And yes, they have to know more math/physics for their structures classes.

For a LA degree, you're golden if you can do college algebra. Grading & drainage causes many students problems, but most of the ones with problems can't do college algebra....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    grading and drainage are a piece of piss. I've learned how to do intermediate level grading and basic drainage on the job and it only took me like 3 months max. I think the hardest part of being an LA would be plant selection and familiarising yourself with all of the possible materials to use for your treatments. I work with a lot of LAs and it seems like the best ones out there (like Oehme Van Sweden) simply have access/knowledge of the best/most cutting edge materials or know when to apply what. I got to work with them on a job and they consistently impressed me with all of the materials they would suggest that I never even knew existed (although I am not an LA)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 09 Aug 2016, 8:27 PM
  2. Trying too hard
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Apr 2012, 6:52 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 Mar 2008, 9:47 AM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last post: 11 Feb 2006, 2:56 AM