Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Downtown streetscape

Registered
    Jan 2005

Downtown streetscape

I live in a community of 20,000 residents and we are begining a downtown revitalization project.

I am looking for a streetlamp that directs light downward (so it does not disturb those living above downtown shops) that has solar collectors and can turn on automatically at dusk or be set on a timer.

I would also like some links or pictures of nice pocket parks or pedestrian plazas that I can use to illustrate what is possible for my community.

Also, does anyone have experience with RubberSidewalks, Inc. ? I wonder how these rubber sidewalks hold up to winter snow (shoveling, salting, etc.) and if they are as durable and attractive as the company claims.

RaneyOnline@yahoo.com

Rubber sidewalks have been discussed here before. Here's a link to that thread. The cost is a huge considerations, and some people were dubious about the longevity claims.

It shouldn't be hard for you to find a streetlamp like that from any streetlamp supplier. Light sensors and light pollution reducing angles aren't uncommon.

Northamptonshire (UK) has a website with specs and pictures from their large pocket parks program (although their pockets are almost all conservation parks).

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I have never found a lot of options for effective solar lighting.With White LEDs improving, I hope some day we have more options. Here are a couple that I have come across, none are particularly attractive:

www.solarlighting.com

www.selux.com/cms/products/exterior/sonne.php

I also think the photometrics are not particular good either. One problem in a downtown setting may be shadowing from buildings.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

There are plenty of suppliers out there who will provide you with the product that you want.
    Light trespass has become a big thing in many areas and the vendors know it.
    You may also want to look in the Sweet Books,

Registered
    Dec 2005

Rubber sidewalks

I was perusing "older" threads in regards to the sidewalks. We installed a section of sidewalk with rubbersidewalks inc. in the CBD this past summer. We have had no complaints, actual calls to our info center to commend the use, they have survived one winter and no vandalism.

We are going to observe through an additional winter to fully judge the product. Our construction team, responsible for oversight of installation thought they were great.

As for ADA compliance, we constructed curb cuts of concrete and brick detectable warnings.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Downtown streetscape projects
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Feb 2010, 12:37 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Aug 2008, 6:10 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 11 Jun 2008, 4:10 AM
  4. The Best Damn Streetscape PERIOD!
    Friday Afternoon Club