Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UniCollege London or LSE?

Registered
    Feb 2007

UniCollege London or LSE?

Im from NY and ive just been accepted to UCL and LSE for my masters in urban planning. Im interested in a design concentration and international planning. can anyone offer advice on which school would best serve my purpose? or comment on either of these schools? Im beginning to get overwhelmed so any ideas would help.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Lex, I didn't go to either UCL or LSE, but have worked with a number of the academic staff on various projects and studies, so know a little bit about them.

If it's design and international planning you're after, then I would definitely go for UCL. Planning is based within the Bartlett School, along with Architecture and they are very strong on spatial planning/european planning etc.

From experience LSE, as the name suggests, is much more entrenched in economics and policy, and the planning dept. is more of an off-shoot of human geography.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    hurricane thanks for answering. Im still up in the air because i dont know where i will actually be practicng when i graduate. do you (or anyone) happen to have any ideas about where uk planning grads end up employment wise? do companies in the UK hire americans? are either of these programs any good to begin with? im having so much trouble getting unbiased information so thanks again

Registered
    Mar 2007
    hi lex,
    i have the same question as you: what are the career opportunities for non-uk citizens after a m.sc. at the lse, especially in the private sector? and what are the possibilities to go back to work in the usa / canada afterwards?
    thanks

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I'm in at UCL and Manchester but I'm worried about the cost. 15,000 pounds at UCL is a bit steep for me! Manchester is much cheaper, but the program isn't very well known (well, as far as I can tell).

Registered
    Feb 2007
    so relieved to see that i am not alone with these questions! ive tried contacting alumni of UCL and LSE with very little success. if anyone comes up with and answers please post and let us all know!

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Despite my location as Dublin, I'm American.

I'm gonna visit the Bartlett School in about 4 weeks time. Hopefully I'll get most of my questions answered then.

Lex, you know anything about UCL specific scholarships/grants, etc?

Are we eligible for studentships and demonstratorships and stuff in the MSc program or are those mainly for people on MPhil and Phd programs?

Btw, I'm in the International Planning program not the Spatial Planning one.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Here's my two cents after looking at applying to both programs:

Reputations:
    UCL - better planning program recognition in the UK.
    LSE - better School name recognition internationally.

Programs:
    Advantages and disadvantages are subjective to the individual applying. LSE tends to have more liberal leanings and UCL more traditional. Also consider your interests in planning and how each program and faculty measure up to that. Are there supporting faculties for elective courses?

Both are fine institutions but I would say it all depends on your interests in planning.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi from London!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Sep 2013, 3:52 PM
  2. Hello from London
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Oct 2007, 1:40 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Sep 2006, 11:14 PM