Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Creating realistic buffers in GIS

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003

Creating realistic buffers in GIS

Hello,

I'm trying to better illustrate 1/4, 1/2 and 1 mile radii from commuter rail stations, yet I'd like portray real distances rather than basic circles. The rail stations I'm trying to highlight are strung along a rail line that runs through an the eastern section of my city, which is mostly 1950's-1960's-era suburbs. These areas generally have large and irregularly-shaped blocks, with limited street connectivity.

Thus, even though decent numbers of houses, etc. fall within the 1/4 and 1/2 mile buffers, I'm interested in illustrating true walking/biking distances as reflected by on-the-ground street connections, etc.

I know ArcMap has Cost Distance tool, but is this what I would ultimately want to use? I'm sure other planners have run into this issue, so thanks for considering my questions.

Registered
    May 2006
    Blog entries
    Since you're dealing with street connections and cost/time routing, TransPlan might be a better program to do this type of mapping. I remember producing a map like the one you're talking about in our CE travel demand class. I would see if your department could get you a copy of TransPlan. I believe I still have my lesson sheets if you need copies.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I agree it sounds like a modeling exercise.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

ESRI's Network Analyst extension for ArcGIS will do what you need quickly and simply. Caliper's TransCAD or other travel model will do that and more, as stated, also.

You could also develop a grid-based process with ESRI's Spatial Analyst, depending on what you have access to.

If the area you need is small, you could make your own by running a series of routing choices through Google Maps or similar to develop travel times, input them into your GIS, and process buffers based on the values.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BikePlanIt View post
    ESRI's Network Analyst extension for ArcGIS will do what you need quickly and simply. Caliper's TransCAD or other travel model will do that and more, as stated, also.

You could also develop a grid-based process with ESRI's Spatial Analyst, depending on what you have access to.

If the area you need is small, you could make your own by running a series of routing choices through Google Maps or similar to develop travel times, input them into your GIS, and process buffers based on the values.
    Echo... Network Analyst is probably the best if you don't do a ton of transportation modeling, but need something accurate. TransCAD is overkill unless you do a lot of transportation modelling. It's easier to justify purchasing an extension rather than an entirely new program (though TransCAD is an awesome program).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Third vote for the Network Analyst extension.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Feb 2005
    make that 3 for network analyst

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Jan 2013, 9:07 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 28 Dec 2012, 1:14 PM
  3. Is my view realistic of the planning profession?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Dec 2007, 12:50 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Oct 2007, 7:06 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Mar 2007, 7:06 AM