Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Save the Landmark Grandview Drive-in

Registered
    Dec 2006

Save the Landmark Grandview Drive-in

Several weeks ago, Wal-Mart announced their intent to destroy our fully operational landmark Grandview Drive-in in Angola NY, and build a 130Ksf Super Center on the roughly 15-16 Acre the Drive-in sits on.

It is surrounded by homes and a school, and a church with seinor housing behind it, and has a creek that flows into Lake Erie behind it.

We are looking for help preserving it and have obtained roughly 1500 signatures from people wanting to save and restore the Grandview!

HELP!!!

grandviewdrivein dot com

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sounds like a PERFECT spot for a big box. Drive-ins are SO last century anyway.

Sign whatever you want, but like DAD always said, if you like the view, you'd better be prepared to buy it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We lost many of our drive-ins to big boxes way before Walmart came to town! 130k is really not that big for a Walmart anymore. Many are now reaching a qurter million square feet!

Unfortunately, drive-in are not cash cow businesses. If Walmart wants to buy the land the owner is probably licking his lips to buy it. As posted earlier, maybe you can buy it off of him, but you would have to be prepared to get into a bidding war with one of the largest corporations around; and they're pockets are probably deeper than yours.

Short of mitigating the runoff into the stream, you may not have much to stand on. Welcome the evil empire!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Not that it's any of my business, but perhaps this thread would do better in the Citizen Planner's subforum.

Unfortunately, I would have to say odds are not in your favor. I think some towns have successfully fought Walmart and if it were my project, I would look up any information I could find on any cases where a small town fought Walmart -- both those that lost and won but especially looking for those that won -- and try to figure out what the losers did "wrong" and what the winners did "right", as well as what "luck" type factors played a significant role. Then analyze the Grandview situation to assess a) how much it lined up with the winner/loser profiles and b) see what I felt needed to be done to nudge it over to the winner profile as much as humanly possible.

Good luck.

Moderator note:
    (Suburb Repairman)
    Sounds good to me. Thread moved from Design, Space & Place. Left a longer redirect due to the holidays.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 24 Dec 2006 at 3:36 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I'm sorry to hear that the Grandview is going the way of the dinosaur. I think it's probably the last drive-in Erie County, but its demise is not unexpected. Drive-ins are seasonal and therefore not very profitable, and the few that are still in business appeal seem to appeal mostly to rural folks, and Angola has become far more suburban than rural these days.

I'm not kidding about the rural factor -- at least in New York. There's a great rural drive-in in rural Rensselaer County (east of Albany) that attracts people from all over the area on nice summer evenings. Jamestown, which is set in rural Chautauqua County, NY (sort of a "Hillbilly Heaven"), has a drive-in with two screens that was built within the last five years -- and it does booming business between May and October -- but then, so does Stateline Speedway!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Here is an interesting side-note, we have an old historic Drive In only a few miles from me. It has taken over additional land and now totals nine Screens smack dab in the middle of the City. The addition is old industrial land. It shows movies year round and is wildly successfull. It is also the last remaining Drive-In in car crazy Metro Detroit, so we have a bias to begin with (though not enough of one to keep more drive ins open).

Therefore it is possible to run such a business successfully, but you really need to have the right management and the willingness of people to sit in their cars on sub below zero days to watch movies!

http://www.fordwyomingdrivein.com/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2006

a 9 screener? Wow!

That is great! Any idea if they have a Website???

We are struggling to keep her alive but not giving up yet, many people in this area do NOT want to see the last in the area gone, the next closest "Buffalo Drive-in" is gone the end of this season, expanding the medical park. So no drive-in's for like 40 miles!

I'm sure the $ is a factor, but the owner has plenty and doubt he is all that impressed either way.

The Water issue is BIG as ANY change of amount or quality into the creek will KILL the trout hatchery down stream, and erosion at the mouth where it enters lake erie is already a huge problem... plus the wetlands at the rear of the property etc...

Then we have the traffic issue at this intersection, rt 5 is 4 lane, but Lake is a small village hardly 2 lane not able to handle the traffic. the entrance they want off rt5 is only a few hundred feet from the current traffic light at 5 & Lake with no room for a turning lane. and I understand you need more room between signal lights than we have here?

all I can see is mass gridlock...

God willing the rite thing will happen.

not much else we can do but what we are already doing.

Thanks all for the tips!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I posted the website! Take another look.

Peak time for the drive in is different than it would be for other businesses, meaning mose commercial and commuting traffic should be off the road by the time that the movies start. Traffic may not be the problem if there is an efficient way to get the cars into the drive in and bot blocking traffic by idling on the street.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 8:04 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 1:44 PM
  3. Save our land, save our towns
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Apr 2003, 11:54 AM
  4. Help save Philadelphia modern landmark
    Design, Space, and Place