Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Afraid of Heights Attraction

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

New Afraid of Heights Attraction

Putting aside the issue of appropriateness (that is another serious thread)

Q. Would you go out on the new Grand Canyon glass-bottomed Skywalk ?
    It is only sticks out 70 ft over and 4,000 feet above the canyon's floor.

Pretty good photo at:
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...p1=MEWell_Pos5
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i would do it, but i'd carefully judge the waistlines and the creepiness of the people on the skywalk with me.

i'd be more nervous about some crazy person throwing another person over the edge of it than the thing breaking.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    No, not even if it were free. I don't like heights too much, they give me vertigo. But at $49.00, why would anyone go out onto it?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    No, not even if it were free. I don't like heights too much, they give me vertigo. But at $49.00, why would anyone go out onto it?

i believe the $49.00 is a tour package which includes the skywalk. i heard it was $25 just for the skywalk. still rather expensive.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I am amazed at the size and weight of this structure. I haven't gotten an exact weight but it appears it is over 500 tons! It would be cool, I would do it as a tour package, but alone I don't know if it's worth it. I would lookdown, get that queesy feeling and proceed on.

and I have a question for dandy, why would this even go through your mind? "i'd be more nervous about some crazy person throwing another person over the edge of it than the thing breaking." Do you have that little of an inherent trust in people?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Walking gingerly across the translucent surface, visitors hear the glass layers creak.
    HELL NO! Even if it were free

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    HELL NO! Even if it were free
    How about if they paid you $5.00 and gave you a complementary 8 oz. plastic cup filled with Coors?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    How about if they paid you $5.00 and gave you a complementary 8 oz. plastic cup filled with Coors?
    Not even for five bucks and a real beer. I'm not overly afraid of heights, but that just does not look like something I would want to walk on.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    and I have a question for dandy, why would this even go through your mind? "i'd be more nervous about some crazy person throwing another person over the edge of it than the thing breaking." Do you have that little of an inherent trust in people?
    heh. well 2 things.

1. while contemplating the original question i thought, "why would people be afraid to go out on the skywalk?" three thoughts came to mind a) the thing breaking, b) falling over the edge somehow, c) getting thrown off by a psycho

2. i have a very active imagination/anxiety and often find myself contemplating "what if" scenarios. i like to be prepared.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Absolutely, without hesitation.

Although, now that the thought of crazies throwing people off the sides has been brought up, my answer is now turning more towards absolutely, with slight trepidation.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Not in this lifetime nor the next.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    chickens.

Of course I'd do it. AND I'd throw some one off. Kidding!

No I'd do it in a heartbeat $25 be damned. I'm a photographer, and all I can think of are the great vertical shots I could get.

I wonder how many B.A.S.E. jumpers are itching to get out on that thing!
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I am too cheap
    I will wait until it is free

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I only have a couple phobias, which are roaches, and heights. Just the thought of walking on that thing makes me .

I don't know which would be worse: the glass bottom or open metal grating instead! It doesn't matter though: I'm gephyrophobic. That thing's just a bridge to nowhere. Uh uh, no, he!! no!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I say heck yeah, I can't wait to go. The thought of being tossed off is a little disturbing, but what a ride it would be to my end
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Aug 2002
    A translucent skywalk? No way!!!

I won't even ride in those glass elevators you sometimes see at shopping malls.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'd do it, but not for $25. Now if that $25 included the parachute and gear and training to jump off, I'd consider it.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Most places around the Grand Canyon have a very low railing/wall or none at all. I would much rather get thrown off the skywalk where I can enjoy the view on the way down, than bounce along the side of the cliff, breaking limbs, spinning out of control before hit the fatal blow.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I say I would walk on it but I know full well the second I was to step foot on it I would chicken out. If it had a railing and it was a very calm day (no wind) I would at least try...but probably not for a few years (just want to make sure its structurally sound!!)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sure I'd do it. Wouldn't think twice. What a great perspective to see the Canyon, "floating" above it all.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Hell yes I would do it. If it weren't such a pain in the ass to get there, I would probably already have the trip planned. The one thing that would keep me from doing it is the whole intrusion on the canyon rim that this thing creates.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would go on it, reminds me of the suspended glass sidewalk in the Renaissance Center (aka Circulator Ring). Yes it is frosted for mdesty so all you Cyburbia perves can forget coming to Detroit for a PervyStanfest! I jump on it whenever I go there... can't break the darned thing!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've been planning to go out on this thing since I first read about it. Its only 2 hours from here. Jaxspra, how did you get the idea that it doesn't have a railing? They would never allow that. Its supposed to be engineered to be able to hold up a 747's weight. I saw some under-construction photos, and I can tell you, those are a couple of beefy steel "U"s.
    Now for a psycho to through someone off, well, that would take a substantial amount of effort and money for a psycho. First there is the drive out there, then the entrance fee. I'm much more concerned on the NYC subway about being thrown onto the tracks. Psychos shoving people in front of trains has actually happened.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well if i ever visit the Grand Canyon, yeah i would do it, heights dont bother me one little bit.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Mar 2013, 8:06 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Aug 2012, 11:18 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Aug 2012, 10:50 PM
  4. Another Afraid of Heights Attraction
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3