Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Others fields related to planning?

Registered
    Mar 2007

Others fields related to planning?

Ever since I decided to forget about architecture, I've been looking into a wide range of majors including business, political science, and economics. I've thought about engineering for some time now but the work ethic seems too demanding, I haven't taken a math course in a couple of years, and I was never that good at science. So engineering's out.

Right now I'm considering construction management and urban planning. Construction management requires a lot of fieldwork and does result in a considerable amount of stress. The construction industry is growing at a faster than normal rate, the opportunities are plentiful, and the salaries can be very large (around $100,000). Still trying to find out more about the career though.

My last resort would be to become a real estate appraiser. It seems like a pretty average job with a little more fieldwork involved. The nice thing is that they're needed in large cities.

Basically, I'm wondering if you guys would happen to know of any other careers in the "engineering/planning" industry like the ones I've mentioned above. I've changed my major/career focus a number of times so I just want to make sure my next one is the last one.

One of the things that concerns me about urban planning is the fact that I might have to find a position in a small or suburban city. I hate driving and would rather not depend on a car (I'm from NY and I love the trains there). Is it a very likely possibility that I might have to relocate to a smaller city for a better position? I've heard urban planners have to be willing to migrate from time to time.

Just so you know, here are a few things I'm looking for in a career:

-ability to reside in a large city (Chicago, NY, Boston, SF, or even Portland)
    -opportunities for career/salary advancement (I think I've heard in UP it's quite infrequent)
    -within the engineering/planning/real estate industry

Thanks for your help.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Landscape architecture?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I was going to post the same thing. Landscape architecture is probably the closest allied profession, at least at the design/built environment end of the field. Environmental engineering is also closely related.

On the real estate side, there's site selection and acquisition. Tough if you're not a salesperson-type.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I hear land surveying is pretty good
    part physical
    part mental
    part archelogical
    part research
    part technical
    you get to use a machete and a computer
    frequently crosses paths with planners, engineers, and construction

Quote Originally posted by Easton View post
    My last resort would be to become a real estate appraiser. It seems like a pretty average job with a little more fieldwork involved.
    Don't poo poo property appraisal too much. A friend of mine has his own business appraising mostly commercial sites all over the country. Based on his house, and trophy wife, I would say that he does very well

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WouldBePlanner View post
    Don't poo poo property appraisal too much. A friend of mine has his own business appraising mostly commercial sites all over the country. Based on his house, and trophy wife, I would say that he does very well
    Well, that's good to know.

As for landscape arch, I'm pretty much done with architecture as a whole.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 3:06 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 5:15 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Jul 2009, 1:15 PM
  4. Salaries in planning related fields
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Jan 2009, 8:14 PM