Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hist. Preservation with Planning Focus - Weighing Schools

Registered
    Mar 2007

Hist. Preservation with Planning Focus - Weighing Schools

I'm looking for advice on historic preservation programs with a planning focus -- specifically looking at Penn vs. Columbia. In this case, is one better than the other? Penn has a higher ranked planning program, but does it matter if my main degree is in HP?

Any thoughts on the topic or particular schools is appreciated.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by reilly View post
    I'm looking for advice on historic preservation programs with a planning focus -- specifically looking at Penn vs. Columbia. In this case, is one better than the other? Penn has a higher ranked planning program, but does it matter if my main degree is in HP?

Any thoughts on the topic or particular schools is appreciated.
    I've been told by a couple of people in the field that you're much more marketable job wise if you get a planning degree with an historic preservation focus than the other way around. I'd go with Penn.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jlc221 View post
    I've been told by a couple of people in the field that you're much more marketable job wise if you get a planning degree with an historic preservation focus than the other way around. I'd go with Penn.
    That really depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to end up as a preservation planner with a city or county, then get the planning degree with a historic preservation focus. If you want to work as a preservation planning consultant (or do Section 106 work), you're better off getting a preservation degree with some planning coursework.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    i'm also weighing programs right now, including penn....send me an email, maybe we can chat about graduate programs?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2013, 11:46 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jan 2008, 10:09 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Aug 2006, 11:10 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 6:57 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last post: 15 Oct 2004, 11:36 AM