Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: looking to work internationally

Registered
    Mar 2007

looking to work internationally

I've been admitted to Penn's MCP and am interested in their urban design specialization. My goal for an MCP is to work internationally in Asia. Does anyone know how well Penn can prepare for that?

Also, I'm waiting to hear back from MIT, Tufts, Columbia, and NYU. Any thoughts about their programs related to what I mentioned above?

Thank you!

Registered
    May 2005
    I went to Penn, but not for Planning, so I can't speak to that program specifically. They do, though, have excellent regional studies programs like South Asian Regional Studies and a more broadly termed Asian studies program (this was renamed some years ago and I forget its newest moniker). If you can get some good coursework on culture-specific issues like social development, public health, etc. that should be good prep. Penn is also very strong on languages and a host of other areas that might fit into your particular planning interests.

We have a joint MA program here at UNM for Latin American Studies and Planning and many go on to work abroad (in fact, many are from abroad and come to get training and then return to their home countries). Having lived abroad in Africa, I know that planning issues around the world can be extremely diverse and may touch on issues that don't often come up in the US, so additional training would definitely be an asset.

Good luck.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning internationally - USAID?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Apr 2011, 6:27 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Aug 2008, 8:26 PM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Apr 2004, 4:40 PM