Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduate Schools and Residency

Registered
    Sep 2005

Graduate Schools and Residency

Hey everyone,

Having received my financial aid offers from all three schools I applied to (UIC, Michigan, and Rutgers), I'm looking at the whole money issue now, with the aid. I'm pretty pleased with what I was offered from two of the schools, but I have one quick question: does anybody know if any of these three states (Illinois, Michigan, or New Jersey) will allow graduate students to pay in-state tuition after their first year? I've heard some states do this, but not sure about these three.

Thanks,

-Dave

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'm not sure about the other two schools but I know for Michigan you will not be able to get residency for the second, or even third year. If you're out of state then you will pay out-of-state tuition the entire time. Its' no fun.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    When I was at RU it was a full year proven residency (I'm from NJ so I didn't have to go though this). You have a form to fill out to request NJ residency for Rutgers.

From http://admissions.rutgers.edu/0208.asp#1

"The university’s policy on legal residency is governed by New Jersey Administrative Code 9A:5, which requires that individuals be domiciled in the state for 12 months before becoming eligible for in-state tuition.

Domicile is defined as the place where a person has his or her true, fixed, permanent home and principal establishment, and to which, whenever he or she is absent, he or she has the intention of returning. Individuals domiciled in New Jersey for a period of 12 months before first enrolling at Rutgers University are presumed to be legal residents of the state for tuition purposes. Dependent students under the age of 24 are presumed to be domiciled in the state in which their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) are domiciled. Persons residing in New Jersey for less than 12 months before first enrolling at Rutgers University are presumed not to be domiciled in the state for tuition purposes.

Individuals residing in New Jersey for less than 12 months, or who will become legal residents of New Jersey prior to enrollment at Rutgers and plan to establish a legal domicile in New Jersey, must complete the New Jersey Residency Petition. See the instructions below."
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think for a lot of schools, if you're admitted as an out-of-state resident, then you remain one until you graduate. I tried to get around it when I went to grad school, but I wasn't able to.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    So... I guess that leaves second-year grad students (ages 25+) at Rutgers open to interpretation...

Do they count "first enrollment" or "term of enrollments"?

I don't think it makes a terrbile amount of difference for Bloustein... 5000/year-ish I thought.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by njm View post
    I don't think it makes a terrbile amount of difference for Bloustein... 5000/year-ish I thought.
    Also, the research and teaching assistant positions give free tuition.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    The Ohio State is my first choice, but I am not a resident of Ohio. If I am accepted, I want to defer enrollment, get a job in Ohio and work for 1-2 years, and then enroll in their UP/LA program. I read through the grad handbook, but I want to know if anyone can help (Hink, any ideas?)

Thanks-

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Another question about out of state versus instate tuition: does anyone know if its at all common (or even possible) for schools to waive out of state tuition?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GPA at graduate schools
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Oct 2008, 4:02 PM
  2. Graduate schools?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 8:19 PM
  3. Advice on graduate schools
    Student Commons