Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Australian Suburbs

Registered
    Mar 2007

Australian Suburbs

Greetings Cyburbia. I'm an Australian almost-graduate architect, and have worked in the build environment professions for 5 years. I'm very intersted in Planning and urban design and these disciplines describe the macro forces that effect architecture.

I'm currently completing my Masters at Melbourne University and have started my final project: Densifying the Suburbs.

I propose to introduce office/professional and service businesses into existing suburban typologies; or, to create new micro-commercial buildings that read in the contect of the middle suburban ring.

I look forward to tapping into and contributing to suburban forums.
    Thanks Cyburbia

Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from massachusetts!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from NW Ohio, USA, on a continent bigger than your's.

Glad you have jumped in the Cyburbian Pool. We look forward to your posts, especially pros/cons regarding suburban development.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Hi there. Also at Uni Melbourne here.
    Trying to work toward an Ebenezer Howard type model of self-containment in smaller areas there? I know the main issue with those that we trip over is the experience with Canberra where job mobility and the fact that we are no longer single-earner households work together to make travel destinations a bit erratic. Getting a greater mix of uses into inner and middle ring areas seems pretty useful though.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Welcome to Cyburbia. Just keep on posting.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Greetings from Washington, DC!
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Irving, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome from Colorado, USA.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Hi from a Sydney Suburbanite!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmm....

Quote Originally posted by geserit View post
    Greetings Cyburbia. I'm an Australian almost-graduate architect, and have worked in the build environment professions for 5 years. I'm very intersted in Planning and urban design and these disciplines describe the macro forces that effect architecture.

I'm currently completing my Masters at Melbourne University and have started my final project: Densifying the Suburbs.

I propose to introduce office/professional and service businesses into existing suburban typologies; or, to create new micro-commercial buildings that read in the contect of the middle suburban ring.

I look forward to tapping into and contributing to suburban forums.
    Thanks Cyburbia
    Welcome from Western Arizona....
    There are parts of Denver that have done a nice job of mixing limited commercial uses in refurbed residential structures....York and Colfax area...?? but these tend to be on major arterial roads, not internal neighborhood streets.....start a thread on this topic
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Welcome from Western Arizona....
    There are parts of Denver that have done a nice job of mixing limited commercial uses in refurbed residential structures....York and Colfax area...?? but these tend to be on major arterial roads, not internal neighborhood streets.....start a thread on this topic
    Well, keep in mind that the suburban development that Melbourne academics view as "low density sprawl" matches the physical characteristics of high-density new urbanist detached housing. "Sprawl" to a Melbourne planner means that they have back yards.

Yet somehow, people manage to oversimplify it so that they can claim Melbourne has poor density. Meh. Reread Fooks.

hrm. Blow me down, i'm turning into my supervisor.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: Australia (general) Australian grad schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jul 2013, 9:11 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 2:12 AM
  3. U.S. planner going Australian?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 7:29 AM
  4. Australian Property Records
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jun 2007, 9:47 AM
  5. Calling on Australian planners to help...
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 May 2007, 1:52 AM