Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sydney Harbour Bridge Walk-lotsa photos!

Registered
    Jun 2005

Sydney Harbour Bridge Walk-lotsa photos!

As some people know, the Sydney Harbour Bridge turned 75 this week. To celebrate this, sydneysiders were able to 'walk' the bridge- which obviously doesnt happen often at all- actually its the 3rd time in history. So my sister and a couple of my friends decided to take part.... here are a couple of pictures i tried to take in the massive crowd....

walking from North Sydney to the bridge

Still walking...

A cityrail train interupting the view!

My sisters friend, my sister and my friend posing... my other mate standing on the concrete in the distance

Natski and her sister!

No cars today!!!

Yes they are wind chimes, made a fantastic sound

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well done, natski. A classic bridge, well-known around the world. Nice pics.

For your next assignment, report to the Straits of Mackinac (Michigan, USA) on Labor Day, 2007, at 7:00 AM EDT. You can walk another great bridge, the Mackinac Bridge. (With about 60,000 others.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Well done, natski. A classic bridge, well-known around the world. Nice pics.

For your next assignment, report to the Straits of Mackinac (Michigan, USA) on Labor Day, 2007, at 7:00 AM EDT. You can walk another great bridge, the Mackinac Bridge. (With about 60,000 others.)

Bear
    You paying for the airfare?
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    You paying for the airfare?
    For the correct answer (response), purchase any VHS tape or DVD of the original "The Honeymooners".....a classic television show from the good ole' USA, broadcast in the early 1950's. Check out Jackie Gleason's response whenever he was "caught".....

P.S. Do you like oaring a small boat?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Wow whats the deal with the hats were all walkers required to buy one? Was it to raise money for some charity?

Cool pics
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Wow whats the deal with the hats were all walkers required to buy one? Was it to raise money for some charity?
    No, they were given to all the walkers for free- at night time all the walkers got hats with lights on them.

Good idea though, everyone wore them pretty much- but they were a shocking colour!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thank-You for the pictures.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Thanks for the virtual free trip! Looks like Fall is arriving a little early -- cool and grey day down there, eh? The wind chimes are cool -- were they just for the anniversary or are they on the bridge regularly?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Thanks for the virtual free trip! Looks like Fall is arriving a little early -- cool and grey day down there, eh? The wind chimes are cool -- were they just for the anniversary or are they on the bridge regularly?
    It was pretty overcast that day, but it was also very humid and sticky. We have had warm weather lately, with a bit of rain (thank god) but today i have woken up to cold weather- i think autumnn (fall) is coming

The wind chimes were put up for the walk- i dont suppose they would be that safe for cars to pass under constantly

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Great pics! Pretty nice bridge too.

One thing I have to ask... are there manual (cash) tolls for the bridge, and what does the Auto Toll mean? (it says so in a sign)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton View post
    Great pics! Pretty nice bridge too.

One thing I have to ask... are there manual (cash) tolls for the bridge, and what does the Auto Toll mean? (it says so in a sign)
    There are some manual ones- but mainly auto ones- all motorways inn sydney run on "e-tags" which you put money on and they beep when you pass through toll gates so you dont stop and pay

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Looks fun.

I somehow had thought Natski was older...
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    Looks fun.

I somehow had thought Natski was older...
    Yep look all of 17.... but still a young 23 turning 24....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Louisville's bridge and I-64: dilemma
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Jun 2006, 12:45 AM
  2. Planning under the bridge
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Feb 2006, 7:54 PM
  3. Dolphins in our harbour!
    Friday Afternoon Club