Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Non-profit, local, state or fed jobs? Which are best?

Registered
    Mar 2006

Non-profit, local, state or fed jobs? Which are best?

I recently made the switch from a local govt job to a nonprofit job. At my local govt job, I had nitty gritty details- plan shuffling- that I hated. Now, I worry about the financial stability of a nonprofit job and find myself thinking about a federal job (like EPA).
    I like the work I am supposed to be doing, but if I hear "we have to see where the money's coming from" one more time, I may be found sitting in a corner babbling!

I was wondering what others have found that they like/dislike with different sector jobs.

Thanks!
    ...Moving at the speed of local government

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Within nonprofit jobs I think it really depends on what type of non-profit job it is. . . I work for a non-profit affordable housing develper and really like the work. . . I do have issues with the management, etc. . .but I don't think I would fit well in a normal municipal planning dept . . . and I think the feds would be worse. . .a lot worse

Again security is not a big concern for me.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm on the nonprofit side and don't think I could ever be happy in an EPA cubicle farm. I think that kind of work is just so different from the way CDCs run that I'd be a fish out of water.

The lack of resources with which to make things happen is a constant concern, no doubt. There is just never enough money to do justice to everything you want to do. Nonprofits tend to have big dreams but very little in the way of hard resources to bring them to fruition, and it sucks to see the best parts of a project get value-engineered away in order to make the numbers work.

I hear you on the security issue. I'm funded via a grant, and because the grant will end in August, I'll be looking for employment again this summer.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My experience has been local.
    I know some state people - to big of an area to cover with way too many counties and towns to call on.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2007

It all depends........

The sector you feel right in depends on your tolerences. If you like being inventive and taking chances, look to the not-for-profit or local office. If you always want to be on stable ground and in control, go higher. Personally, I don't think I would do well at EPA or HUD.

I have worked in different sized local and found I like small cities. Big enough to see things happening, keep you busy, and have someone to work with but small enough to know the place and the characters.

(Working for our state would be cool, but then again I live in Delaware. Three counties! The State is just a bit bigger than the County in which I lived in NY! )

Just have fun doing it. I frequently ranted at my wife about those 'characters'. I have been on a forced hiatus for a year now and realize I realy do like what I do.

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    at the local city/town/village level I think you can be more directly affected by politics, but I think the month to month deadlines can seem like you get things accomplished. Regional planning....things can seem to go on and on...but I have found I really like the work environment. I think regional can be more programming, but it really depends on the character of your region. I can't speak for federal.... just that I don't believe that they have pensions..
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2006
    MacheteJames, you hit the nail on the head there! Seeing public money being twisted and turned to justify numbers which aren't really accomplishing what was promised really bothers me. Then there is the whole security issue. My father worked for the feds for 30+ years and has a great retirement now. I am definitely attracted to the security of it...
    ...Moving at the speed of local government

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Apply to jobs that are not local
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Jan 2014, 6:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 2:13 PM
  3. Non-profit jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11