Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UB University at Buffalo or UIC

Registered
    Mar 2007

UB University at Buffalo or UIC

Does anyone have information or opinion about UB or UIC? I am interest in doing Physical Planning with GIS and some urban design. So anyone have any advice which university to pick.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    If Buffalo gave you any $$ then go there. I sorta regret not choosing the place. Then again, I also don't know anything about UIC other than its a good school.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Living in Buffalo is like a religion...

You have to be steadfast and fearless.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I'm currently applying to UB to get my Master's Degree in Urban Planning. I currently have a BA in Urban Planning from U Albany. I've heard many good things about the program at UB. I'm hoping that UB Urban Planning department moves downtown at some point in the near future. Idk anything about UIC or where it is.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm just curious about your choice of schools. Why UB? Why UIC? What did you like about the schools that inspired you to put them on the top of your short list?

I'm a UB grad, BTW. The program has expanded and changed quite a bit since I graduated in 1996. When I attended, one thing that was unusual about the program compared to other schools was its emphasis on economics; macroeconomics, microeconomics and real estate development and financing courses were required. In my work, the economics focus at UB helped me to consider and understand the market forces that drive how the built environment is shaped, on a very deep level.

Think of Buffalo as a living laboratory of planning; good pre-WWII classical planning, and bad post-WWII decision-making. You'll either love or hate the city. It's relatively safe, there's some very vibrant neighborhoods, a fantastic nightlife scene for a city its size, and a low cost of living. (Well, except for heating bills and taxes.) However, there's not much reprieve from the overcast skies and constant reminders of the city's fall from grace.

There's lots of Buffalo photos in the Gallery. Take a look, and see if it's a place you could feel comfortable living in for two years.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Mar 2013, 3:28 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2009, 3:26 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Sep 2005, 2:39 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Jul 2005, 2:32 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 11:54 AM