Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job hunting while employed, and relocation

Registered
    Mar 2007

Job hunting while employed, and relocation

Ok. My target relocation month is August. I am planning on starting applying for jobs (through a variety of methods) within the first week of April. Worst case scenario Ė if I havenít found a job in D. by July, Iíll use a temp agency or something similar.

I want to tell my boss next week so that I can list him as a reference and obtain a reference letter from him. I would really like to enclose his recommendation letter with the resume packets Iíll be sending (as a follow up to emailing my resume and cover letters for positions I have found online).

Things to consider:

1. I am willing to stay for as long as I can because I have bills to pay and projects to finish Ė itís obvious that it will take a couple of months to find a job. I am in a position where I am pretty much needed on a daily basis and they canít let me go without finding a replacement first. You never know, though.
    2. At the same time I want to be able to accept a position if I am offered one earlier that expected
    3. I dread a scenario where I am quickly replaced and jobless until my actual relocation (itís easier to find a job while having a job).
    4. I dread a scenario where I go to D, without having secured a job.

Anyway, I am open to your suggestions regarding this. Not sure how to approach boss and what to tell him, especially regarding my target ďleave dateĒ. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Hope my ramblings make sense.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'd tread very carefully with telling your boss that you plan on leaving, especially this early in your job search. Once he/she knows you're on "short-term time," you may find yourself replaced long before you officially resign and have another job to accept. Why not wait until your potential employer asks for a letter of recommendation, rather than include it with your resume? Most of what you're proposing seems rather presumptuous to me.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I, too, would not use your boss in this situation. Hopefully, you will be able to garner a few good letters of recommendation from other people, preferably ones who would not go and tell your boss that you are looking for a new position (maybe clients, people from other departments?)

Has anyone been able to earn a letter of recommendation/reference from a boss during an exit interview? (after you have already given your two weeks notice for a new position elsewhere)?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It really depends on the exact circumstances, the exact type of boss and what kind of relationship the employee has with him/her. If there are discreet projects to finish up and the boss understands that in the long run it makes sense to let a departing employee move on for personal or professional reasons, it could be fine.

Having said that, I have never used, and know no one who uses, "letters of recommendation" any more. Its always the almighty phone and usually only after the employer is already almost ready to make an offer. I personally wouldn't attach any weight to a recommendation letter as part of a job application.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    Having said that, I have never used, and know no one who uses, "letters of recommendation" any more. Its always the almighty phone and usually only after the employer is already almost ready to make an offer. I personally wouldn't attach any weight to a recommendation letter as part of a job application.
    This is my experience also, even to the point that if I did get a letter from someone, I would call to check it anyway (easy to forge), which defeats your intentions.

You need to look at the worst that could happen. For example, you talk candidly to your boss, you are honest and up front, you promise not to slack off until you leave and promise to train your replacement.

He can: 1) Say, "I'm going to miss you, can we offer more money for you to stay?"

2) Say, "No problem, help us find and train your replacement."

3) Say, "Your fired, get out you ungrateful scumbag!"

Are you prepared for all of these including being fired? If not, do not go public yet. If you are prepared, then no matter what happens, you know you have been honest and have a clear conscience about your actions, and you can use your place of work as a reference.If I can call the place were you work today and ask about your work habits, I learn a couple of things about you as a person:

1) you were honest with the place you are leaving and did not leave them with no warning, in a tight spot.

2) you are leaving on good terms, which says a lot about your maturity level.

3) I have a comfort level that you will treat me the same way when you move on. (I am a realist, no one stays in a job forever).

Disclaimer: This advice, like all advice, probably does not apply to you, proceed with caution.
    Whatís in a name? Ė Your reputationÖ.:)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the advice.

As much as I'd like to be honest with my boss, I'd wait a bit longer before disclosing my relocation plans.

Regarding the letters: you are all absolutely right. I read an antiquated article a couple of months ago (its irrelevance became obvious upon further research) A list of references (available upon request) is a different story.

My problem is that I know for a fact that if I was to ask for references anyone else from the organization, my boss is bound to find out earlier than planned. The other concern is that my previous employer is tight with my present one so that may not be a good idea either. The other references I have in mind are college instructors and internship supervisors (I graduated college about two years ago).

Iíll use your advice and figure something out.

Thanks,

M.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I just had this very scenario happen over the past months as I prepare to move to a better job in SC. I did as much research and preparation at my current job. After I applied and they informed me they received my application in full I informed the director (or president in your case) that I was interviewing and they may be contacted for more infomation (he was and wrote a glowing letter). I took 2 vacation days to do the in face interview and when I returned told them I was giving my 2+ weeks notice, it will be more like 3 when I leave but offer to stay as long as possible and also let the new job know you will be on board as soon as possible after getting your ducks in a row. Good Luck and I hope your search and interviews go as well as mine have.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Again, thank you all so much for your feedback.

Since prospective employers usually require references at an interview, I am planning on postponing the discussion with my boss until I am actually called for an interview which may take a while, quite a while in fact : ((.

I really want to be honest with my boss, but cannot afford the worst case scenario.

I have seen some employers request a list of references with the application, but I think thatís very rare. In that case, I am planning on utilizing other people whose permission Iíve asked for. The problem is that the people I am planning on utilizing in that case are people who know more about my academic career than actual work experience. Thus, I am planning on noting on the list of references that more references are available upon further interest/consideration from the company (something along these lines).

Feel free to let me know if you think thatís a bad/presumptuous idea. I have very limited job hunting experience so itís possible that some of my suggestions/ideas are ridiculous.

P.S. I have nothing to do with city planning. I hope itís okay that I am posting here. I chose this board because of the level of professionalism and wisdom Iíve seen here after lurking for a while (no, I am not brownnosing : )

Registered
    Sep 2005
    You can always tell them to make any employment offer contingent upon a favorable reference from your current place of work. With the understanding that they would not approach your current work unless they made an acceptable offer of employment to you.
    Whatís in a name? Ė Your reputationÖ.:)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I've never had a problem with the old line "references available upon request" on a resume. I'd explain that your current employer is not aware that you are job-hunting right now (that's common and certainly understandable). If they are serious about hiring you after the interview, then they'll ask your permission to talk to your current boss and then it's time to tell him/her that you're job hunting.

When we know someone is seriously job hunting, we stop assigning projects to that person and start leaving them more and more out of the loop. It's not to be mean, but just a matter of convenience - why bother when someone else may have to pick up a project in mid-stream?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by solarstar View post
    When we know someone is seriously job hunting, we stop assigning projects to that person and start leaving them more and more out of the loop. It's not to be mean, but just a matter of convenience - why bother when someone else may have to pick up a project in mid-stream?
    That is another reason why you shouldn't really tell your current employer that you're job hunting. It may take months before an interview and/or offer comes along. So in the meantime, you've spent valuable time at work doing nothing or just menial tasks because your employer thought you were a short-timer.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Again, thank you so much for the advice, guys.

Great suggestions, as usual.

Registered
    Apr 2007

Job Hunting

I feel your pain. I'm waiting to tell my boss until the very last minute (2 weeks out). It's the worst kept secret in this agency, but It's not official yet.
    I am moving because of my other half got a better job than I have. I graduate in May with a BS in Urban and Regional Planning and Anylsis and a minor in US History. I did a 6 month internship with a non profit, I've worked with a community planning group for 3 years. I've done 6 years in the military have a 3.2 GPA and I can't even get a "Thanks for Applying" letter from one of the hundreds of jobs I've applied to in Charlotte, NC. Sorry blowing off some steam.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005

Job Hunting....

Understand everyone's predicament quite well. I've been applying to new positions for the past four months and have yet to receive an interview.

I don't know if it is because I'm living and working in Thailand at the moment or I'm just not as qualified as I think I am.....

Good luck to everyone looking!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Jul 2010, 11:27 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Dec 2008, 5:53 PM
  3. Help with possible relocation
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Mar 2007, 8:37 AM
  4. Relocation (?)