Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Conversion schedules/tables

Registered
    Mar 2007

Conversion schedules/tables

I am currently updating our mixed-use ordinance and looking for information/good examples of conversion schedules and tables.

Anything that shows how residential unit types can be changed and square footage can be shifted within land bays to meet market demands would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I have no idea what you're asking for/talking about.

Please elaborate about what a Coversion Schedule/Tables is/does.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have found examples, in text definitions, that allow for the conversion of one single-family dwelling to two multi-family dwellings or 1.5 townhouse dwellings within a given land bay in a development. This would allow for a master plan to change in response to the market without requiring a revision. In this way a master plan might call for and show 25 single-family units in a land bay, but the conversion schedule would allow them to convert those to 50 apartments without going back in front of the Planning Commission for a master plan amendment.

The conversion schedule would be approved with the master plan, and the range of units is usually tied to an ultimate traffic count for the development.

The text definitions I have found have been useful, I am just looking for an actual example of a schedule/table.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    We have done it for traffic on a peak hour or daily trips basis. Developer has proposed site plan, we do a TIA based on that, and satisfy the City that the traffic part works. The PD language then has provisions for substituting uses within the site, restricted so that the peak hour or daily trips generated by the site do not go higher. Therefore, you could trade 6 detached houses (~60 trips/day) for roughly 10 apartment units, or 6ksf office, or 1,000sf of retail, or 100ish sf of fast food restaurant. All were eligible for trading in either direction, so your 3,000 sf McDonalds could instead be 150 detached homes. It was all based on ITE average trip gen rates, we gave a few examples in the text but no big table. This actually gets a little silly if you pile all the potential into one use, but the restrictions of the site size seem to keep it in line. I.e., even though theoretically you could build 3,000 single-family homes with the 30k daily trips, there would be no space and you have to build other uses to make use of the development rights. We will see how it works in a few years once the first phase is done (in line with the plan) and a modified second phase is sought after targeting new markets.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    The conversion of development rights from one land use to another is included in most development orders in Florida. It is based on either a straight conversion of trips, or a conversion of actual land use, that is ultimately based on the trips that land use generates. RTG has listed one standard way this is done. However, I would caution that you could have 'cross pollination' with this method. In other words, unless restricted, I could trade commercial trips for residential trips. The trips would be the same, but the nature of the development can be drastically changed.

In the Florida DRI (developments of regional impact) process a land conversion table can be used. It will not usually allow for a land use conversion that changes the character of what was originally approved. If the change is greater than 15 %, it kicks in a Substantial Deviation clause and the developer must resubmit a Traffic Impact Study.

I have included a sample table from a DRI development order. You could use other land uses such as condos, appts, etc. The conversion calculation is still based on trips. Hope this is helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails landuse table2.jpg  
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    That is exactly what I was looking for. I could see it in my head, but my attempts at coming up with an example didn't produce what my boss was looking for. Now I can show him that I was on the right track.

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Planner's Estimating Guide: Projecting Land Use and Facility Needs by Arthur C. Nelson. APA Press. 2004.

http://www.planning.org/APAStore/Sea...lt.aspx?p=1857

I think this might have some conversion tables. The book also comes with a CD-ROM of excel spreadsheets with formulas for you to enter your own community's data.

I bought it for myself when I stopped at the APA bookstore in Chicago. Haven't really used it much though, so I might be way in left field when it comes to conversion tables. . Cost about $65 with APA membership.

Hope this helps-

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Software Google Fusion tables
    Information Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jul 2012, 8:36 AM
  2. Peak hours on bus schedules
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Oct 2010, 8:51 PM
  3. Replies: 7