Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wal-Mart and NYC

Registered
    Aug 2005

Wal-Mart and NYC

Wal-Mart Chief Writes Off New York

kind of interesting article about how Manhattan has kept Wal-Mart out for a bit longer. i love the last part of the article: Speaking about what he sees as snobbish elites in New York and across the country, Mr. Scott added, “You have people who are just better than us and don’t want a Wal-Mart in their community.”
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2006
    Blog entries
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/bu...almart.html?hp

Hiring former FBI and CIA agents to spy on its employees is another good reason to tell Walmart to go elsewhere. Walmart does offer jobs to struggling communities, and depending on the location, wages may be comparable to average salaries in the region. This is only one of many questionable Walmart management practices I've read about during the past few years, however. Walmart's corporate culture, as Mr. Scott hinted at in his quotation, is still based on more provincial employment practices where employees are considered to be powerless. This opens the door to exploitation and apparantly, even surveillance outside of work.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Personally I don't like seeing NYC being taken over by big box stores in the first place. In my mind, the city has always been so diverse and entrepreneurial. There are a lot of stores, and products, you can't find anywhere else. Having a Wal-Mart makes the city more like... well, like any other place, no longer unique.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Wal-Mart Chief Writes Off New York

kind of interesting article about how Manhattan has kept Wal-Mart out for a bit longer. i love the last part of the article: Speaking about what he sees as snobbish elites in New York and across the country, Mr. Scott added, “You have people who are just better than us and don’t want a Wal-Mart in their community.”
    I live in Manhattan, and have mixed feelings on this. New York gets a lot of character from its many small businesses. But most of those small business are exploitative employers with dead-end jobs and no benefits. Many are also terrible inconvenient, poorly run, and over-priced. There's already a Manhattan K-Mart, and a Target is under construction. I don't see why there shouldn't be a Wal-Mart. I think Scott is right that its snobbish elites who think they are too good for Wal-Mart, although the unions and competitors (who are the only ones to really lose) are a big part of the opposition too. I would appreciate having one or two Wal-Marts in the City, but I think it would have to be limited to that.

Quote Originally posted by southern_yank View post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/bu...almart.html?hp

Hiring former FBI and CIA agents to spy on its employees is another good reason to tell Walmart to go elsewhere. Walmart does offer jobs to struggling communities, and depending on the location, wages may be comparable to average salaries in the region. This is only one of many questionable Walmart management practices I've read about during the past few years, however. Walmart's corporate culture, as Mr. Scott hinted at in his quotation, is still based on more provincial employment practices where employees are considered to be powerless. This opens the door to exploitation and apparantly, even surveillance outside of work.
    To be fair, just about every major company uses former FBI and CIA agents to find evidence for lawsuits and to investigate possible ethics breaches. And it is pretty clear from these articles that the people investigated are only the top ******* of their trusted leaders. I don't think there's anything wrong with them preventing shady insider deals, sexual harrasment, and massive corporate theft and wrongdoing. I doubt executives making six or seven figures are really too victimized by "exploitation."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wal-Mart goes organic
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Mar 2006, 9:21 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Dec 2005, 3:55 PM
  3. Wal-Mart ISP
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Dec 2004, 3:53 PM