Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trip generation for an animal hospital

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Trip generation for an animal hospital

I have a project in the planning board process for which we are requiring a "short" traffic analysis. The problem I have is that the use (Animal Hospital) is not listed in the ITE Trip Generation Manual. Does anyone have any generation rates that they've seen used in the past for this use or a suggestion for a comparable use in the ITE Manual?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I recently had a submission for an animal hospital - the consultant supplied "first principles" data, which was satisfactory to us,as there were very few trips proposed and the use was on a minor road in the middle of nowhere. The rate he proposed was approximately 10-20 trips in the peak hour at most.

I haven't been able to find any trip gen rates for such a land use. I'm tempted to say just use the walk-in/medical clinic land use - same basic land use, just that the "patients" are animals, not people. They operate very similarly.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Trip Generation for Animal Hospital

Under the Clark County traffic impact fee code, applicants may submit fee calculations prepared by traffic engineering professionals. At one time, I was the lead staff member for the review of those calculations. A proposal for a veterinary clinic prepared a study of three clinic sites to support an alternative fee calculation. Our caluclations are based on average daily trip generation (and then adjusted for pass-by). The study of those three clinic sites indicated that a daily unadjusted trip generation rate of 22.04 trips/1,000 square feet of building area was observed.

If the original poster would like, I will research the data set and see if there were p.m. peak values collected and will report that data to the board.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    I would love to have those PM peak #'s for reference if you can easily dig them up.

Thanks!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001

Peak Hour Trip Rates

I had the file retrieved and the data is a Wednesday in November from 1998. Three sites were surveyed ranging in size from 2,650 square feet to 5,600 square feet. The p.m. peak hour trip rates ranged between 2.75 and 7.17 trips per thousand square feet with an average of 4.85 trips per thousand square feet. The a.m. peak hour trip rates ranged between 2.64 and 5.5 trips per thousand square feet with an average of 3.9 trips per thousand square feet.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Many thanks Evan!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Evan...

How do you quantify pass-by trips for a veterinary clinic?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Passby for vet clinics

I had the file sent back -- I don't think that any pass-by interviews were conducted in conjunction with the data collection. For purposes of calculating the traffic impact fee, I believe that we assumed a similar pass-by rate as for medical clinics -- which would be a low reduction (since most trips for medical services tend to be appointments rather than "I am just going by my doctor, so I'll stop in to have my heart checked")

PM Peak trip studies

Is it possible to get copies of that study?

Btw, the pass-by trips should not only be construed for the patients, there are also other types of trips that would faill in to that discount category, i.e. UPS, delivery, postal, etc.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. ITE trip generation spreadsheet
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 May 2009, 3:49 PM
  2. TND trip generation
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Aug 2006, 11:28 AM
  3. More Trip Generation Questions
    Transportation Planning