Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to stand out??

Registered
    Mar 2007

How to stand out??

Have been mailing resumes w/cover letters statewide, any tips on how to make yourself stand out? i-e cover letter resume, at the interview?

Thanks for the help

Registered
    Nov 2005
    At the interview, be yourself. For me, many of my hirings for entry level positions are based on personality and "fit" with the office. You have got to figure that you have the education or the experience to get interview to begin with so be yourself and professionally present yourself and what you can do to help them out.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Network.... Your resume is one of hundreds. If a potential employer can put a face to a name, you have stood out. I know this is not always an option. But if you are looking localy, then network, network, network.

Networking might get you a job offer before a job opening is advertised.
    Whatís in a name? Ė Your reputationÖ.:)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I agree with networking. Other ways to stand out from other job seekers is just experience from past jobs, especially internships. Also certification/licensure (AICP, LEED-AP, RLA, AIA) can increase your credibility as a professional (some of these take several years to earn, including specific schooling, but will help make the professional stand out apart from the competition).

Another way to stand out and a good networking possibility may be to do some volunteer work -- for a neighborhood association, preservation group, or similar organization -- to show that you are devoted to planning enough to do it for free.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Another way to stand out and a good networking possibility may be to do some volunteer work -- .... to show that you are devoted to planning enough to do it for free.
    I agree with him because that is what I did.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Let me throw in my two cents.

If you are applying for specific positions in the public sector, here's my advice: Most, if not all cities and counties, require the completion of an official application. Print legibly in black ink. If I canít read the handwriting, Iím going to have a problem. In my experience with the public sector, the resume is secondary. Finally, critically review your resume for typos and grammatical errors.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    application. Print legibly in black ink. If I canít read the handwriting, Iím going to have a problem.
    SH*T ! Is that why I never got all those jobs I applied for....stupid BLUE ink pen !
    Whatís in a name? Ė Your reputationÖ.:)

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Let me throw in my two cents.

If you are applying for specific positions in the public sector, here's my advice: Most, if not all cities and counties, require the completion of an official application. Print legibly in black ink. If I canít read the handwriting, Iím going to have a problem. In my experience with the public sector, the resume is secondary. Finally, critically review your resume for typos and grammatical errors.
    Black?! But, how will you know it's not just a photocopy? My agency prefers things to be signed in blue ink... (though my employment is with a state health and human services agency--maybe city planning depts. are different).

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I think a way to stand out is to have a clear well organized resume. We get a lot of bad resumes. Planners are communicators...and if you can't communicate who you are....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. L P could also stand for.....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 15 Feb 2013, 12:07 PM
  2. I give up... What does AIB stand for?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 06 Mar 2008, 8:02 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 8:13 AM
  4. How to stand out? internships (IL, WI)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 2:29 PM
  5. Actors that you can't stand.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 14 Oct 2002, 12:30 PM