Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PhD Applications Support Thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004

PhD Applications Support Thread

Hey All,

Just wanted to break off from the majority Masters applications thread and see if any other Cyburbanites are applying for PhD programs in planning, regional science, or international development.

I currently have applications in at four schools: Cornell, MIT, Berkeley, and UCLA, as well as public policy applications in at the Earth Institute, Woodrow Wilson, and Kennedy.

Anyone else applying, have thoughts on timetables for hearing back for interviews, accept/rejects, etc.?

Registered
    Apr 2005

Welcome

After "enjoying" applying for Masters programs last time around, I decided to apply for a Ph.D. in Urban Planning, and end up doing a joint MUP/PhD. Since I am at Michigan right now, I only applied to Michigan. So, we are not in competition!

I'd recommend that you check out the www.thegradcafe.com for information on when you should expect to hear about Ph.D. applications. It is a very helpful inventory of programs and decision dates, and the manner in which the decision was received.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Great link, thanks! Looks like the earliest I'll be hearing back from programs is next week, but most in March.

Registered
    Aug 2006

Looking for a topic...

I'm certainly thinking about doing a PhD in the next eyar or two, but need to find the killer topic. I'm and ex-history teacher, and love ancient history (Medieval England, Rome & Aztecs mainly), and would love to do a PhD topic covering something from these.

Any thoughts on where to start?

Rewey

Registered
    Apr 2005

Personal statement

For what its worth, I would recommend that you work on thinking about what area you would want to do your Ph.D. in. From the information you provided, it looks like your work might have a historical bent to it, and you might want to review the literature in this area. From my own personal experience, the personal statement is the most important part of an application, since you need to express why you are interested in the Ph.D., and how your interest can tie into a good dissertation. (Disclaimer: I've applied, but not yet heard if I got into the Ph.D. program I applied for at the University of Michigan).

Quote Originally posted by Rewey View post
    I'm certainly thinking about doing a PhD in the next eyar or two, but need to find the killer topic. I'm and ex-history teacher, and love ancient history (Medieval England, Rome & Aztecs mainly), and would love to do a PhD topic covering something from these.

Rewey

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Good Idea this of having a thread just for PhD applications

I applied to Berkeley, MIT, Columbia as well as public policy at the LBJ in Austin.

Any news about decisions just let me know!!!!!

Quote Originally posted by Rumbach View post
    Hey All,

Just wanted to break off from the majority Masters applications thread and see if any other Cyburbanites are applying for PhD programs in planning, regional science, or international development.

I currently have applications in at four schools: Cornell, MIT, Berkeley, and UCLA, as well as public policy applications in at the Earth Institute, Woodrow Wilson, and Kennedy.

Anyone else applying, have thoughts on timetables for hearing back for interviews, accept/rejects, etc.?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rewey View post

Rewey
    Hey Rewey,

Your interest in planning history is (I think) an under represented part of the broader field. You might want to check out the work of John Reps, a professor Emeritus at Cornell and publisher of oodles of books on planning history. Those books might spark some ideas.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Got good news from UCLA and Cornell last week. Cornell offered a much stronger financial package.

Still waiting to hear back from the other five though - the wait is killing me.

MIT anyone?

Has anyone heard from MIT yet? I am trying to make a decision about Berkeley, and can't believe how behind MIT seems to be. Thanks -

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    No, no word yet on MIT. Congrats on Berkeley though, I haven't heard a peep from them positive or negative, looks like I landed on the rejection pile...

MIT etc.

Thanks. I do think Berkeley is done with their PhD process, but you never know. I hope you get good news from MIT, whenever they finally tell us!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Just curious about Berkeley - I've heard they are having all kinds of financial difficulties - if you don't mind sharing, what kind of financial package did they offer you?

Berkeley definitely doesn't have much money. They offered me a $10k fellowship for one year, and a TA/RA position to cover tuition + whatever that wage is. But unless you get a university fellowship (maybe 2-3 people) I don't think they offer any multi-year funding, so you're on your own to find TA/RA positions to cover your tuition. Luckily I'm in-state, so that's not too hard.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Interesting - that's kinda what I figured, I've heard similar stories from other departments. Best of luck to you!

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I'm trying to decide between berkeley and UCLA. Berkeley definately seems to be limited on funding, I have not even received a formal offer from them. Any opinions on UCLA in this regard?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The unemployed planner support thread
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1083
    Last post: 21 Jul 2014, 11:27 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Aug 2008, 4:24 PM
  3. Child Support Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 7:39 PM