Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's Official, the Tide moves south!

Registered
    Oct 2005

It's Official, the Tide moves south!

You may or maynot have missed me the last five days or so, chances are you didn't miss me, but! I had an interview in South Carolina on Monday after a phone interview Friday night. About an hour after the Friday phone interview the HR lady called me back and said "we would like to meet you as soon as possible". A few last minute plane tickets and hotel reservations I was driving to Charleston, SC that night. My wife, her mother, and myself looked at houses Saturday and Sunday. I had the interview Monday and got the job after a lunch which included baked ham, beans, and sweet potatos, I threw in a y'all in the conversation which came out more like a you-all but I think that sealed it for me. I'll be an official South Carolinian in a few weeks!

I'm very excited and nervous about this position since it will be a step up into management which I don't have much experience in. The County really wants me to work on the ordinanace, master plan, and a 20 year facilities plan. It's a small staff but I have a open position at my disposal for hiring (anyone interested?).

We also bought a house Monday night, just a slab now but will be ready in 4-6 months (we'll be renting in the mean time). It's in a quaint quiet neightborhood. No home is on anything more than .20 acres. All detatched garages, sidewalks, tons of green space. I would call it new urbanist but it lacks the near by services (most shopping is about 2.5 miles away). But it beats having a mcmansion on a field somewhere, it's something I won't feel quilty living in.

Pictures of the trip soon.... more details to follow!
    Last edited by Tide; 04 Apr 2007 at 10:39 AM.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Congratulations! New wife, new job, and a new house in 4 months' time.......you're really on the fast track!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congrats on the new job and the move! You'll find things very different down there, but if you keep an open mind, or even try to understand a few closed ones, you'll enjoy life in the Low Country. Just remember for this summer that Folly is the only beach that allows coolers of anything other than Coke.

Oh, and no matter how long you live there you will most likely never be considered a South Carolinian. The locals will remind you that. I'm not kidding.

Congrats again, and send pictures

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    Congratulations! New wife, new job, and a new house in 4 months' time.......you're really on the fast track!
    Yes indeed, time for life to slow down a little!

Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Oh, and no matter how long you live there you will most likely never be considered a South Carolinian. The locals will remind you that. I'm not kidding.
    Already when they were showing me through the new office and people would ask where I was from I would coyly say "new jersey".

And my mother in law told me this one. "You know what's the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee?" ... "A Yankee visits the south, the Damn Yankee stays"

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Congrats Tide!! Welcome to management. NJ will miss you and I hope you get back for some RU football games! Best of luck.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congrats on / to all the changes in your life.

Are you still going to make the APA Conference in Philly ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Sweet - welcome to The Beautiful South™, you yank. Enjoy the seafood at Hyman's.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Congrats on all the changes! Good luck! Whatever you do, don't sound like a Yankee or say "we used to do it like this in NJ." It drives us Southerners crazy.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Sweet - welcome to The Beautiful South™, you yank. Enjoy the seafood at Hyman's.
    Hyman's is nasty as a former, very short term, employee, and lover of food, I mean this

Introduce yourself to the shrimp and grits at Carolina's in downtown, and then the fried whatever the catch is at the Wreck on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant. There are more good restaurants than you can shake a stick at down there. Enjoy!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    What Biscuit said...the Wreck is the local's place to go! Have spent many a day in that neck of the woods and on the sands of Folly. Enjoy a nice evening strolling the Battery and watching the River Dogs at Joe Rilley Stadium.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Hyman's is nasty as a former, very short term, employee, and lover of food, I mean this
    Eh - I ate there once - only Charleston restaurant I could think of mid-post.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Congratulations on everything that has happened! Enjoy the happiness!
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Congrats. We did the same move in 2005 (MA --> NC). A little surprised that you bought a house without living and working there for a little while first, but congrats nonetheless. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the north-to-south move.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Congrads Tide! You will love the change on pace and the new responsibilities.

I became a carpet bagger a number of years back myself and have loved it. You will be ya'alling within a year or two and you will have to get used to a low country boil (shrimp) in the summer time instead of the crab or lobster boils.

Have fun!
    Satellite City Enabler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Cograts on the move and on the new job!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Good luck and congrats on teh move and purchase!

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Congratulations on the new job and the new house.
    Wishing the best

Registered
    Oct 2005
    The opportunity is amazing and the County is very excited to have me aboard with a 'fresh set of ideas'. I have the support of the higher ups and it looks like a fun time ahead.

As for buying a home. My wife and I did tons of research before the trip and we spent 2 full days driving around with an atlas marking it up and getting a feel for the area. We feel we've made a good choice and can be happy for a long time where we chose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sign.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	3849

This is a model of the house we bought, the Charleston single style really appealed to us. It's not as small as it looks, 2500 heated SqFt. Like I said before, smaller lots .15 - .20 acres which means I can get a simple push mower (manual power), detached garages, and walkable community with two pools. Oh and we get a free palm tree with every purchase , no really!

Click image for larger version

Name:	house.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	3850

As for Shrimp and Grits, we went to Charleston to celebrate Monday night and I had a bowl of it at S.N.O.B.s it was pretty good!
    As for the transition, my wife being from Atlanta will help with that a lot!
    I have tried to keep that saying ("Back in NJ" or "The way we do it ...") out of any conversation but sometimes you have to use it. I think the real reason I got the job is I told the interviewers that just because I'm from NJ doesn't mean I have the answers, I said "I've been here my whole life, I've seen what can go wrong and what the consequences are for certain actions or should we say inactions"... I think that also sealed the deal.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

So Cool....

Sweet work! It looks like you are on the way to even greater greatness of the greatest kind I've never been to SC, but now....looks like I have a reason to go
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Now the only real question is do I root for SC or Clemson? Of Course RU will always stay #1, but I need to fit in ya' know?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Now the only real question is do I root for SC or Clemson? Of Course RU will always stay #1, but I need to fit in ya' know?
    Neither. You're in Charleston - root for The Citadel.

(However, if you do choose the University of South Carolina, you'll need to repeat "Spurrier = God" until you actually believe it...)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congrats on the move and new job. Hopefuly being management won't reduce you slackering.

I like the new house (presuming yours will be similar) Too bad it's not better connected.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Congratulations on your new place of employment. Hope you have a smooth transition.

That's quite a distance from NJ, hopefully you received some relocation assistance.
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more cowbell!" - Bruce Dickinson

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    You might want to stay neutral - having friends on both sides. Although it's more fun saying GO C0CK$ Either way you will have to become more knowledgeable about the SEC and ACC.

Have you bought a crescent and palm tree sticker for your car yet?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Just root for CofC basketball. And for your personal sanity and safety avoid all Clemson/Carolina football discussions. Even if the correct answer to your question is Clemson

Also, please don't think I'm being nit-picky here because I don't want to be, your new home, which is very nice by the way, is not a Charleston Single. This is a Charleston Single style home

Remember, if it isn't one room wide and often turned sideways then it isn't a single house, no matter what the developer calls it. It's kind of like how every old rancher up here is described by Realtors as a Cape Cod, Traditional, or even worse, an Arts and Crafts.

Good luck. I hope you love it.
    Last edited by biscuit; 04 Apr 2007 at 2:14 PM.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What to do between career moves
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2012, 1:31 PM
  2. Whoops APA moves the White House
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Mar 2012, 10:20 AM
  3. Otterpop moves up to Teh Clubbe