Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buffalo polemic (was: Censorship in Cyburbia)

Registered
    May 1997
    It seems to me that the question distilling out of this thread is: why do so few people have so few choices, especially the choice they want? I am a rural person, objective about both 'burbs and central cities because I have no desire to live in either. I have been in some of both that seem to work (it seems weird for a rural Westerner to like Baltimore, but I do, and I just visited a 'burb in the Bay Area that seems like a good place to live -- once you get over the utter destruction of the productive landscape that once existed there) and a lot of both that are mostly unlivable.

But I think this discussion has made too little of Heresy's point about home ownership, or to be more precise about the consequences of home ownership in a growth-addicted society. What would communities look like if we had heeded Henry George and taxed away the unearned, speculative increment on real estate for a century? What if homes were a places to live, not investments? What if there were no incentive to build a commercial structure without a specific need for it? I have my own thoughts on this, but am intested to hear people address it. I think that it is far more central to the quality of our communities in the long run than the physical design choices.

Thank you, Lee, for picking up on my comment. It was not meant to be a homeownership vs. renting debate at all. As you understood, I was simply questioning the home as major investment mindset which I think traps people into making decisions based purely on financial gain and fuels speculative development. I realize this won't change because it is too entrenched in our society but imagine how different it could be . . .

Hey Buffalo!!! Wide right!!
    In my life, I have met men both good, and evil. I defend my self against them all...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2011, 3:30 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Jan 2005, 6:27 PM
  3. censorship
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Sep 2001, 1:36 PM