Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Guess the City™ #349

  1. #1
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,166

    Guess the City™ #349

    This one might be a bit tough, I'll post hints later on if needed:



    You know the drill!

    Enjoy!



    Mike

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Hceux's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Wasteland of Cedar Trees
    Posts
    1,028
    Geometryville, USA?

  3. #3
    Johannesburg, South Africa?

  4. #4
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,166
    Quote Originally posted by SuperPenguin View post
    Johannesburg, South Africa?
    VERY good! I'll give it to you. It is actually adjacent Soweto, South Africa.

    I thought that I'd have to go through a bunch of clues before someone would get it. What gave it away?

    Interestingly, I posted this GTC entry about three hours before Dan posted that article in another thread about the housing market there. I was kind of curious about how things were going there since the end of the country's Apartheid system. Panning across the country reveals that pretty much every one of its built up areas has formerly segregated black/coloured 'township' sections like this, too.

    BTW, the place's name of 'Soweto' is simply an acronym for 'SOuth WEst TOwnship', located immediately southwest of Johannesburg.

    Mike

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Section 14-12-7, 3rd PM
    Posts
    2,096
    And to think it only took one more guess than my Las Vegas GTC

  6. #6
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I thought that I'd have to go through a bunch of clues before someone would get it. What gave it away?
    I just happen to spend waaaay too much time puttering around on Google Earth.

    The red roofs and the proportion of bare dirt to vegetation were the two big things that I recognized. I'm most familiar with seeing red roofs in southern Africa and in Australia. The amount of exposed earth made me lean more towards southern Africa. The fact that there's still a decent amount of vegetation made me lean more towards South Africa than, say, Botswana (again, from my recollection of aerial imagery). Having narrowed it down, I made an educated guess as to the specific area of South Africa.

    To amuse myself, I then fired up Google Maps, and looked around for areas that matched that kind of signature (suburban areas, significant amount of red dirt. I also picked up on what appears to be a rail line. Doing so, I was able to locate this spot.

    On a side note, and perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't Soweto technically considered a part of, or at least an adminstrative region of Johannesburg?

  7. #7
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,166
    Quote Originally posted by SuperPenguin View post
    I just happen to spend waaaay too much time puttering around on Google Earth.

    The red roofs and the proportion of bare dirt to vegetation were the two big things that I recognized. I'm most familiar with seeing red roofs in southern Africa and in Australia. The amount of exposed earth made me lean more towards southern Africa. The fact that there's still a decent amount of vegetation made me lean more towards South Africa than, say, Botswana (again, from my recollection of aerial imagery). Having narrowed it down, I made an educated guess as to the specific area of South Africa.

    To amuse myself, I then fired up Google Maps, and looked around for areas that matched that kind of signature (suburban areas, significant amount of red dirt. I also picked up on what appears to be a rail line. Doing so, I was able to locate this spot.

    On a side note, and perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't Soweto technically considered a part of, or at least an administrative region of Johannesburg?
    Are you sure that the Sun angle didn't play a part???



    (hehehehehehe)

    I don't know enough about how South Africa organizes their municipal governments to say if Soweto is a part of the City of Johannesburg or not. It would not surprise me at all if it was indeed in the city, much like how most of the San Fernando Valley is actually in the City of Los Angeles.

    Mike

  8. #8
    Sorry! I once took an aerial photo interpretation class from a former intel guy, and he wanted us to list every single detail that helped us identify a feature. I guess some things actually stuck with me!

    South Africa's government structure is rather confounding, and there have been many post-Apartheid changes (such as new municipalities, renamings, etc.) that further tangle me up.

  9. #9
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,166
    Quote Originally posted by SuperPenguin View post
    Sorry! I once took an aerial photo interpretation class from a former intel guy, and he wanted us to list every single detail that helped us identify a feature. I guess some things actually stuck with me!

    South Africa's government structure is rather confounding, and there have been many post-Apartheid changes (such as new municipalities, renamings, etc.) that further tangle me up.
    (hehehehe)

    Now it's your turn to put one up.



    Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 11 Aug 2005, 8:41 AM
  2. Guess the City 223
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 15 Feb 2005, 4:22 PM
  3. Guess the City 100
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 01 Aug 2003, 10:32 PM
  4. Guess the City 101
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Aug 2003, 3:12 PM
  5. Guess the City 99
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Jul 2003, 2:41 PM