Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Linking taxation to land use

Registered
    Apr 2007

Linking taxation to land use

Hello fellow planners! My ever vigilant peers in the County Appraisal Department recently noticed on our County Commissioner's agenda a very delinquent taxpayer had applied to receive a special use permit. The application was not for the land delinquent on its property taxes. It was for another piece of property that was more or less current.

The appraisers office would love to add a requirement to our regulations requiring the individual to be current on their taxes before progressing down the planning and zoning path. I have honestly never heard of such a thing before. They also want the applicant to agree to taxation accessment inspections prior to applying for a permit or zoning change. I don't know if it is wise or legal to link land use and taxes.

I would love to hear the thoughts of my fellow planners.

KansasPlanner

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    we used to do this link of pursuing permits while in a tax lien, but we took it out of the Ordinance -

but I think you will get more hits to this thread if you ask moderators to move this to the land use section of threads...

welcome from Downeast Maine, just the same!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Sounds like a bad idea. Just because the person is delinquent on another property should not affect the legal procedure for another unconnected property.

If the person is delinquent then just attack them for non-payment. Don't take away all property rights univerisally within the County.

If you want to penalize someone for non-payment then just increase the fines for that.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

I think I agree with mendelman -- unless it was the parcel that was delinquent as the subject of the zoning application, I wouldn't mess with it.

Besides, I've got enough to do around here already, why the heck would I want to add tax collection to the list?

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I also agree with Mendelman and Gedunker.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Unless you can establish an essential nexus between delinquent taxes on one parcel and the use permit for another (which I’m not seeing), it wouldn’t pass the legal test.

BTW, when was the last time an appraiser's office ever assisted the planning dept...on anything?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well my appraisal department and I work closely together. They do stuff for me all the time. On ther other hand I do building permits mostly for them. Since we have no building codes the building permit is for appraisal purposes.

As for tieing the permit process to the deliquent taxes. the only thing that we do along that line is make them pay the taxes in full before they are allowed to file a plat in the deeds office. Which is kind of odd in the fact that if someone is filing early in the year they make them pay taxes that would not be due in full until June.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Taxation Without Representation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 07 May 2007, 10:35 AM
  2. Linking Images
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Mar 2006, 12:37 PM
  3. Image linking/ imageshack leeching?