Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UNC v VA Tech?

Registered
    Apr 2007

UNC v VA Tech?

I'm just finishing up a 5 yr Architecture degree (plus a dual in International Relations) and have equally attractive offers from VA Tech and UNC. I'm interested in land use, sustainability, international planning, etc. The quality seems about equal but right now it seems VA Tech wins for location (DC - and i'm a city person) but the UNC program seems broader/more community

Any opinions??? Any advice is helpful...thanks,
    t

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I've heard people say they like UNC... it's in a nice area, but maybe too rural for you. I know Va Tech has a campus somewhere in No VA, but I'm not sure where. DC has a lot ot offer, so that might be a good choice. I'd give a lot of consideration to which is cheaper and think about which school would provide a better learning experience for the kind of place you want to work when you're finished.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Is international relations at your institution considered a type of politcal science (i.e. diplomacy, international affairs, etc.) or is it tied more with public administration, grass-roots/NGO's, or a combination of both politcal science and public administration?

Does your interest in land use, sustainability, and international planning derive from completed coursework in these areas, or do these fields just sound appealing to you? Do you plan on utilizing your architecture degree, and if so, how?

Elaborating on greenescapist's comment, I would think very carefully about what do you plan to do after earning another degree. Have you considered other insitutitions, perhaps outside of the US, that would prepare you? You might want to also consider alternatives to additional education such as the Peace Corps, Habitat for Humanity, the US Army Corps of Engineers, or the United Nations, where you can utilitze both degrees before going back to school.

Hope this helps.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Going along with nrscmid's comment, I know that VT has a Peace Corps Master's Degree, where you attend the first year of grad school, go on your PC assignment, then return for one or two semesters...maybe that would be something of interest to you?

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Well, addressing all the comments...I grew up in DC and my sister has lived in the triangle area of NC for the past few years so I know both areas fairly well (obviously DC better). Ive worked at smart growth america, the inter-american development bank, etc so i have enough experience to know i want to do urban planning straight away. ive thought about the peace corps program but dont think its for me right now.

right now i'm leaning towards tech because i figure the smaller campus community and program is compensated by the location in dc and access to all the ngo's, etc that are there. do you guys think this is a fair assumption?

also, as an aside, i just found out my application to MIT (along with 2 others) had gotten lost by the company that prints the apps and gives them to MIT. so MIT just notified me yesterday that i'm accepted but it was too late in the process to give me a financial package and other schools require notification by this weekend so its too late for me to hunt around for assistantships at MIT - doesnt that suck! (thanks for indulging my rant )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006
    i'm also considering UNC - still haven't decided! As far as VA Tech (I'm assuming you are talking about the Alexandria based program), when I was looking at schools initially I thought about applying here primarily due to the proximity to DC. However, I got the impression that the school attracts a lot of P/T (so perhaps less of a sense of community within the program among students?) and many of the VA Tech professors are based in the Arch school on the main campus - the program in Alexandria seemed very small - although I think they are expanding it/recruiting for more professors and so forth.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 17 Aug 2010, 2:58 PM
  2. Tech Breakthrough?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Dec 2006, 5:49 PM
  3. Virginia Tech
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 11:30 AM