Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Zoning text amendments

Registered
    Jan 2005

Zoning text amendments

1. Is it typical for an ordinany citizen to be able to petition to amend the local zoning code (i.e. parking requirements)?
    2. Do some jurisdictions only allow it to be done when initiated by the planning
    commission?
    3. Do you think it would be illegal to prevent a member of the general public from petitioning to amend the zoning code?

I am interested in how these issues are handled in different juridictions.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sure....

Anyone should be able to request a zoning code amendment.....whether they can afford the $5,000 application fee or not is another matter..... That's how several places I've worked with dealt with that issue. In Florida we did have a provision in our City Zoning Code to allow for citizen initiated changes to be proposed. In Colorado, all of the places I worked with allowed citizen initiated zoning code amendments to take place. I've never seen one processed yet.......
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    From reading my zoning code, it appears that such amendments can only be initiated by the Plan Commission (or Planning staff are representatives of the Plan Commission) or the Village Board (elected officals).

It doesn't seem to allow for general public initiated zoning text amendments.

I'm in a larger northwest suburb of Chicago.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It happens often here and my opinion is that it is a refreshing way for the public to try and change a regulation for the better without having to lobby and schmooze someone else to do it. Planning Departments often don't have much time for zoning rewrites. If Joe Developer is burdened by a regulation, let him try and convince the Commission to change it - its out in the open instead of behind closed doors. Garbage applications are quickly denied and it gives people some recourse since we don't allow use variances.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Anyone should be able to request a zoning code amendment.....whether they can afford the $5,000 application fee or not is another matter..... That's how several places I've worked with dealt with that issue. In Florida we did have a provision in our City Zoning Code to allow for citizen initiated changes to be proposed. In Colorado, all of the places I worked with allowed citizen initiated zoning code amendments to take place. I've never seen one processed yet.......
    In fact, in the last 2 months, I've had two seperate citizen initiated text amendments to our zoning code. The fee is $500. Each amendment was to allow an additional use in a district in which they were not currently listed. So far, they've been well supported changes by the Zoning Commission.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. how do you 'hide' text?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Dec 2011, 10:39 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Oct 2010, 6:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Oct 2010, 6:05 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jul 2008, 3:19 PM