Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Block pattern in suburban multi-family

Registered
    Jul 2007

Block pattern in suburban multi-family

Does anyone have good examples of codes that require block patterns in suburban multi-family development?
    We'd like to require that these developments over a certain size be dived into decent-sized blocks by real internal streets (with tree lawns). Not sure on the specific code language, how big the blocks should be, and what the threshold size for breaking up a development is.

Our downtown/old town block pattern has blocks about 2 - 2 1/2 acres (330' x 330') or a bit more. However, we're looking at more suburban developments, which will no doubt be permeable to pedestrians and even drivers as they will contain a mix of buildings, parking and open spaces.

Recognizing this, I'm not sure how large the max block size should be. One example I've seen requires blocks of no more than 4 acres; which translates into a little over 400' x 400'. Hope to find other examples to back up what we are trying to do, as this is new ground.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mcitton; 30 Jul 2007 at 7:57 PM. Reason: typos

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I would say that the smallest block you could expect would be based on utilities, specifically how many houses an electrical transformer can serve. Which I think is something like 10 homes. Any less than that would not be economically practical due to the cost of the transformer.

Then it is just matter mulitplying the lot width time number of homes by the lot depth and you have an instant block acreage.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Multi-family development
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 6:49 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Aug 2008, 3:17 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Dec 2006, 3:57 PM
  4. Replies: 1