Urban planning community

Poll results: What Super Power would you want?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flying

3 7.50%
  • Control Time

7 17.50%
  • Super Human Strength

2 5.00%
  • Control Weather

0 0%
  • X-Ray Vision

0 0%
  • Shoot Webs

0 0%
  • Invisibility

4 10.00%
  • Heal anyone instantly

4 10.00%
  • Telekinesis

1 2.50%
  • Read Thoughts

1 2.50%
  • Super Speed

0 0%
  • Armor Skin

1 2.50%
  • Control minds

7 17.50%
  • Stretch like a rubber band

0 0%
  • Communicate with the dead

0 0%
  • Communicate with animals

1 2.50%
  • Metamorphose self

3 7.50%
  • Control vegetation

0 0%
  • Teleportation

2 5.00%
  • Other (Please explain)

4 10.00%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Powers

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Super Powers

Hero’s, Superman, The X-men, the Fantastic 4, Spiderman, and many other moves or shows deal with persons who have some type of super human ability. Batman is the only Super Hero that I can think of that does not have a Super Power. But that raises a question. What Super Power would you want? Why would you want that one. What would be the problems or benefits of having it?
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Not sure... invisibilty would get me into the girls' locker room though....

(Kidding... or am I? )
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Batman is the only Super Hero that I can think of that does not have a Super Power.
    [geek]Captain America, too. Some other also rans, too (Robin, Hawkeye, etc.), but those two would be the most well known.[/geek]
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Tough choice between controlling minds and metamorphosize self, but I think controlling minds would be more fun.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Lots of funny answers occur to me but I'll go with a serious one - control time. The ability to control/exist outside of time would allow one the opportunity to live a perfect life. No more rash words or actions or any other 'mistakes' in life need ever be commmitted - and if you did you could always go back and do it over again right. The ramifications of every word or action could be evaluated and acted upon after the most careful consideration possible. One could always pose the question 'what could I possibly do to live/make my life any better?' and could always act in full accordance with whatever you felt the answer should be.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    First I thought 'X-ray vision'... For obvious reasons, he he.
    But someone mentioned 'Invisibility', for sneaking into 'those' areas...

But to 'control minds'.... There it is. But it is a good thing I can not do this, for it would be used for evil...

Go to the cashier, make he/her think I already paid.
    Go to get gas, have the guy pumping gas next to me slide his card thru.
    I am out at a bar and I see this redhead...never mind, you get the picture....

I'm evil I tell you Evil !!!! HA HA (insert evil laugh) Ha Ha.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

well....

What about Guy Gardner.....that was a great Generation X character.....Guy happens to find a dead green lantern ring....puts it on...and is an instant a-hole super hero messing with all the other green lanterns who hate his guts and think he killed one of them for the ring....all the while, he just wants the power to....as ZMAN has stated....sneak into womens locker room and the like....ha ha ha....fun reads.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I always thought The Lantern was cool.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    The ability to time travel would be sweet. I don't want to change history, just observe it.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I went with invisibility. If no one knows where you are or where you're coming from, you don't need super strength, speed, or even to control time. By being invisible, you sort of exist outside of time, anyway.

As far as controlling minds, we already have that in our world. They're called politicians or marketers.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'd pick flying, but only if nobody else could, it would get too crowded in the skies.

Second choice, probably communicating with animals. (Or am I already doing that here, with you guys' invisibility comments... )

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Invisibility...hands down. pete-rock is right....it is like being outside of time.

I could get rather lonely after a while though.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Aren't we going a bit overboard on the invisibility thing?

With modern technology like starlight night vision goggles, infrared sensors, super-sensitive listening devices, and such, wouldn't one be detected anyways? After a building collapses they use dogs and machines called sniffers to detect people buried in the debris, and machines that can hear their heart beat.

Or are we including in this power being undetectedable visually from machines, being able to move silently, giving off no odor, etc?

Even if you were undetectable from everything but touch, you wouldn't be bulletproof. Couldn't the bad guy just spray the area with automatic fire and still hit you?

Think I'd pick something like being in two places at once.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    ....Even if you were undetectable from everything but touch, you wouldn't be bulletproof. Couldn't the bad guy just spray the area with automatic fire and still hit you?
    Whoah, back up there Chief! Who said anything about mixing it up with bad guys? You could get hurt doing that. Don't tell me you're one of those people who would want to do good just because you had the power to do so? Sheesh!

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Whoah, back up there Chief! Who said anything about mixing it up with bad guys? You could get hurt doing that. Don't tell me you're one of those people who would want to do good just because you had the power to do so? Sheesh!
    You don't think that someone out there would consider you a threat? Or maybe just want to be able to brag that they took you down?

I would think a having a superpower by nature would make you a target. Wouldn't you like some defense?
    JOE ILIFF

Martin Luther King, Jr.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I think I would pick teleportation, just to satisfy my desire for travel.

Mind control would be nice, though I think I'd get bored of it eventually and end up killing off everyone else on the planet.

"These aren't the droids you're looking for..."

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    You don't think that someone out there would consider you a threat? Or maybe just want to be able to brag that they took you down?

I would think a having a superpower by nature would make you a target. Wouldn't you like some defense?
    You should consider my recommendation to have the ability to control time, that way if someone tries to spray you with an Uzi you could go 'Neo' on them!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    I thought about it and I would go with controlling time. If you control time, you can stop it, learn everything you need, change things around, and get the result you want. Additionally, you could just stop time and walk into anything that you want, (as long as the door is not locked. To control time would be the ultimate bonus. Just think of how much you could make gambling!
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

I'll go with talking with the animals. It would make my ocnversations with the mutt slightly less one sided...
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Visible Thoughts

I should click the choice for "communicate with the dead".....I do it all of the time at the workplace.

Sounds like the girl's locker room is going to be Cyburbian-crowded. We may bump into each other.

My serious choice would be to heal folks.

One could probably logic-path through all of the choices and find the disadvantages.

Be

Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I chose healing. I guess I'm not very selfish.

Second would be to teleport. I'd love to be able to get around fast (okay I'm sort of selfish!)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Snip, snip, snip.....
    Second would be to teleport. I'd love to be able to get around fast (okay I'm sort of selfish!)
    Let me guess. Teleport to Rose City?

Bear On 33
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Definitely flying...then I can run for US congressman... oh wai... this isn't a Heroes Thread...
    Last edited by SkeLeton; 12 Apr 2007 at 9:53 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags just in case...

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

I had an immediate flashback to a scene from Porky's just now...

I think Joe may be running with this thread a little too hard...

I said the healing thing because that would be cool -

why is it that we gals have little desire to peer into the boys locker rooms - that might be its own thread...

actually, what I want is that room, wth is it called, from Star Trek that they used to go to for "practicing" stuff - but then Janeway would hang out with Da Vinci in there - you could have lunch in Paris there - I always thought that would be a good thing to have in the room over the garage, no?

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    actually, what I want is that room, wth is it called, from Star Trek that they used to go to for "practicing" stuff - but then Janeway would hang out with Da Vinci in there - you could have lunch in Paris there - I always thought that would be a good thing to have in the room over the garage, no?
    That would be the Holodeck or suite depending on which series you're in. But please don't. I'm sure they only invented that thing so it would break down and create numerous story lines questioning reality...
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Lost moderator powers
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Apr 2009, 2:29 PM
  2. Powers needed by transit and why
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Jan 2008, 11:29 AM
  3. Replies: 5