Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Final Decisions?

Registered
    Apr 2007

Final Decisions?

Hello, I'm new to this board but have been poring over the threads for the last week or 2.
    My stats:

undergrad GPA: 3.48, civil engineering
    GRE: 610 verbal, 700 math, 5.0 writing
    letters: professor, employer, university president

I applied to 4 colleges only. I was accepted at NYU Wagner, UC Irvine and Columbia. Waitlisted at Harvard's GSD. Offered full tuition/fees at UCI for the first semester and can reapply based on first semester's grades.

I accepted Columbia's offer and am remaining on Harvard's waiting list. I desssperately want to go to the GSD, anyone here know the likelihood of earning a spot from the waiting list?? The dean said the list is ranked but candidates are not informed of their rank.

Anyone have any tips for getting off a waiting list??? Is it even possible to increase my chances???

Good luck and congrats to all of you already who've decided on some fantastic schools!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by pamelam View post
    Hello, I'm new to this board but have been poring over the threads for the last week or 2.
    My stats:

undergrad GPA: 3.48, civil engineering
    GRE: 610 verbal, 700 math, 5.0 writing
    letters: professor, employer, university president

I applied to 4 colleges only. I was accepted at NYU Wagner, UC Irvine and Columbia. Waitlisted at Harvard's GSD. Offered full tuition/fees at UCI for the first semester and can reapply based on first semester's grades.

I accepted Columbia's offer and am remaining on Harvard's waiting list. I desssperately want to go to the GSD, anyone here know the likelihood of earning a spot from the waiting list?? The dean said the list is ranked but candidates are not informed of their rank.

Anyone have any tips for getting off a waiting list??? Is it even possible to increase my chances???

Good luck and congrats to all of you already who've decided on some fantastic schools!!

Just got off the waitlist and onto the acceptance list. Send a letter restating your interest, send an updated resume, if you have any recent work samples send that. Go visit campus, show your interest, act excited, don't be shy, no one else is advocating for you. Good luck!

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the response zplan! I have emailed the director of admissions twice...asked about sending updated materials, was told they don't accept those and that the waitlist is already ranked (and they dont reveal where on the list). Do you think I should send materials anyway, even though I have been told not to?

I live in Virginia but am definitely willing to fly to Cambridge if it will get me in.

Where did you get waitlist-accepted from? Congrats, that's very exciting news for you!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the response zplan! I have emailed the director of admissions twice...asked about sending updated materials, was told they don't accept those and that the waitlist is already ranked (and they dont reveal where on the list). Do you think I should send materials anyway, even though I have been told not to?

I live in Virginia but am definitely willing to fly to Cambridge if it will get me in.

Where did you get waitlist-accepted from? Congrats, that's very exciting news for you!
    UCLA, I attended their open house for admitted students. If they don't accept additional materials that is tricky. They are probably telling the truth about the ranking and it may just be a matter of who doesn't accept at this point. UCLA told me their was no ranking of the waitlist and that I would be notified by May. I was informed, however on Monday, after attending the open house and passing out my resume. I don't know if my efforts helped or not. It is hard for me to believe that they were able to review all the waitlisted applications that quickly, but who knows. Have you been in contact with any profs. at GSD? Maybe you should try a short brief, but clear email restating your interest in the program. Definitly strike the balance between being adamant, but not annoying.

One thing you might want to consider, is that if you are on the wait list you, I am pretty sure you won't get any aid. I don't know your financial situation, but paying full tuition and living expenses, could add up to nearly $1,000 a month in loans when you get out.

Good luck. Wherever you end up you will do great!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zplan View post
    UCLA, I attended their open house for admitted students.
    Congratulations! Will you accept UCLA's offer?

(Also, we may very well have run into each other at the open house.)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2006
    I am trying to decide between UCLA and USC. Cost is not an issue, since after some aid from USC, the two would cost the same. I liked the progressive feel of UCLA and also the Profs I met seemed interesting. I am worried that they may not offer enough classes on sustainability, which is my focus. USC had a different feel to it, they seemed very organized and appear to offer lots of job placement assistance. There is a good offering of classes on sustainability and smart growth. The Profs there seemed less interesting, however and the students I met were great, but perhaps there was a bit less of the innovative spirit that I sensed at UCLA.

What did you think about UCLA? I was only able to attend in the afternoon, so I would love to hear more perspectives.

Thanks!

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Yes, I've considered the total lack of financial aid...which may make me have to reapply in a few years anyway, but I do want to go badly enough that I'm willing to take on the debt.

Given I've already sent some emails, I don't want to be too annoying, so I will cool down for a bit. I'll definitely post whenever I hear the final results for future reference for anyone, thanks for your input zplan!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zplan View post
    I liked the progressive feel of UCLA and also the Profs I met seemed interesting.
    I completely agree. In addition to speaking to one professor, I spoke for a while with a PhD student I contacted in advance and with a student involved with the Critical Planning journal; they all struck me as bright people and genuinely interested in social issues. I also attended the barbecue the night before, and many people there -- prospective and current students alike -- framed their interests in terms of community development and social justice.

USC had a different feel to it, they seemed very organized and appear to offer lots of job placement assistance.
    Did you get a sense of how much job assistance UCLA provides in comparison? I know that UCLA holds an internship fair during the year, and none of the graduating students with whom I spoke seemed to have problems lining up a position. (I spoke mostly with students who concentrated in transportation planning, my intended area of study.)

(Oh, pamelam, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread! I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the GSD waitlist.)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Yes, I've considered the total lack of financial aid...which may make me have to reapply in a few years anyway, but I do want to go badly enough that I'm willing to take on the debt.

Given I've already sent some emails, I don't want to be too annoying, so I will cool down for a bit. I'll definitely post whenever I hear the final results for future reference for anyone, thanks for your input zplan!
    Best of luck! Please do let us know the results!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Ahh good luck Pamelam! It sounds like you've done all you can do so far...good luck!

Domo and zplan, congrats, it's exciting to see other upcoming students for UCLA on here!

Registered
    Apr 2007

update: GSD waitlist

Well, I was informed last week that I have not gotten a spot from the waitlist. They said they didn't take anyone for MUP but maybe they tell that to everyone.

I still havent decided what to do! I already sent Columbia a deposit but I'm considering staying and working another year and reapplying to the GSD for fall 2008. My heart is set on it, plus with other considerations I prefer Boston a lot. (I'm a figure skater and it's important for me to continue, and Boston's skating community is excellent, not to mention I could have a car there).

Does anyone think reapplying would be crazy? I didnt get any money from Columbia anyway. If I work another year, I could (1) Retake the GRE and score higher [thank goodness ETS isn't implementing the changes after all!].
    2) Finish my MPA, I'm halfway done right now. 3) Save money--I will have saved a year's worth of tuition.

Has anyone done this, reapplied the following year? People are telling me I'm crazy, that I may not get into Columbia again. I like to think my credentials will only get stronger, since I will still be in school and working as a civil engineer. I don't want to believe this is the end all and be all, now or never! Surely grad school is not that finite!!

If anyone who got waitlisted/rejected by GSD got in by reapplying, please offer advice!!! I will do whatever it takes to get in next year; already penciling in the fall open house date on my calendar!!!

sorry this is so long. Thank you to all who have offered input before!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    At least all of youare hearing something. CU-Denver is dragging there approvals out for the waitlist dregs like me. Mid-may my ass....

If they are going to tell me no, then farkin tell me no. Let me get on with my life!!!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. MIT decisions
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Mar 2010, 11:17 PM
  2. Final decisions?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 80
    Last post: 29 Nov 2009, 9:30 PM
  3. Decisions, decisions...