Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parks/open space/recreation and libraries joint comprehensive plans?

Registered
    Jun 2008

Parks/open space/recreation and libraries joint comprehensive plans?

Happy Friday, Cyburbians!

Has anyone heard of or had experience with developing a joint comprehensive master plan for libraries AND parks and recreation?

I've seen a few examples that are not in the US, but was wondering if anyone has any US examples, experience, or if not, thoughts on how this might or might not work.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that even though they are both related to leisure services, it might be challenging to nail down the scope of the work to find a firm qualified to do both. Also, the short/long term needs of both services may be so different that it might be difficult to capture that in one document, much less one action plan.

Thoughts?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I know nothing about libraries (I think they have books inside) but have worked on about 8 parks/rec/open space plans over the last 5 years as a consultant. I'm not sure what all would go into a library master plan. If you are simply looking for a plan for facilities, I would imagine any firm that has experience planning recreation/senior center systems would be qualified. They would just pull together a benchmark analysis, look at level of service, access to facilities, etc. If you're looking for a plan that addresses circulation, content (i.e., types of books), staffing, etc., I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a consultant that is highly-qualified in both arenas.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen View post
    I know nothing about libraries (I think they have books inside) but have worked on about 8 parks/rec/open space plans over the last 5 years as a consultant. I'm not sure what all would go into a library master plan. If you are simply looking for a plan for facilities, I would imagine any firm that has experience planning recreation/senior center systems would be qualified. They would just pull together a benchmark analysis, look at level of service, access to facilities, etc. If you're looking for a plan that addresses circulation, content (i.e., types of books), staffing, etc., I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a consultant that is highly-qualified in both arenas.
    I have not found any information on the net about consultants or firms qualified to perform both, and when I was approached about whether a joint master plan would be possible, I admit, I did scratch my head. Our municipality has been pushing 'collaboration' over the past few years and thought there might be potential savings and efficiencies by doing a joint plan with both Departments, but it doesn't seem feasible (unless it's strictly a facilities plan).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2006
    Take a look at Rockville Town Square in Maryland. They put the library right in the center of it.
    http://www.terrain.org/unsprawl/27/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Nov 2011, 1:58 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 8:09 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Jun 2007, 3:13 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 Jun 2005, 5:09 AM
  5. Open Space / Land Management Plans