Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Massachusetts - planning board voting requirements

Apr 2007
    East Bridgewater, MA

Massachusetts - planning board voting requirements

In Massachusetts there are three relatively recent decisions from the Appeals Court (or maybe the state Supreme Court) that clarify moving forward the voting requirements for PB approval of ANR's, Subdivisions, and Special Permits. While the requirements (as I recollect) have been set as based on the number of members on the Board (3, 5, or 7 in most cases in MA) and not the number of members present at the time of the vote, we (in our Planning Board office) have managed to file the copies of the three cases so we can no longer find them.

Is there a forum reader out there who has the cites for these three cases or knows of a website where they may be located? Thanks

Sorry I can't help you, but we do have a number of members from Massachusetts and I expect them to be able to help you out when 1) they get back to work from Patriot's Day, or 2) they get back from the national APA conference, or 3) they manage to swim against the flood tide -- what for the weather you guys are having up there.

Be patient. Thanks!

Nov 2002
    I'm not in Mass but if you might want to try digging around the state judicial website at http://www.massreports.com/opinionarchive/.

Also try the Massachusetts Federation of Planning and Appeals Boards at (508) 754-3068 or whatever you call the Statewide Planning department up there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Oct 2011, 4:58 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 17 May 2006, 11:04 AM
  3. Planning board relevance
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 2:10 PM
  4. Planning board training
    Make No Small Plans