Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AICP certification maintenance requirements approved

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    From an economic standpoint, I agree. With many governments in my state discussing budget cuts in anticipation of property tax reform, extras such as conferences, training, travel, etc. are the first to go. It will definitely put a burden on many planners. We are not as highly paid as other professionals required to have certification.

Quote Originally posted by vdubluv View post
    I don't think continuing ed is that bad of an idea. That being said, one would hope that the APA will look at the number of credits they are assigning to sessions/courses to make sure it is feasible for people to get to 32 credits in two years. In reviewing our most recent state conference, the maximum credits you could receive were 11.7 for all THREE days (and this was attending back to back sessions each day.)
    Eight out of the nine planners in my office are AICP, it is going to be difficult for us all to meet the new requirements with recent budget cuts. Looks like it will be coming out of our own pockets.

Registered
    Jan 2006

Enter the PTP

Seems like some of us may now be able to forget about AICP and move onto to other things.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    A couple things all of us in hiring positions can do; I will certainly do this where i am:

I will first remove any mention of AICP either being required or preferred from any of our professional planning positions, from planning tech to director;

Then I promise to all future applicants, I will never hire or not hire you because of an aicp or lack of aicp affiliation.

Thes two things need to be the message to APA/AICP!

Quote Originally posted by BobH View post
    AICP is going to price itself out of the market. I don't think that many public employers require it. It's more the domain of private consultants, and I run into more "Certified" planners pimping in condemnations than anywhere else. I just don't know that many planners that really needed certification to get or hold a job in the public sector.

I got my AICP when I was in the private sector. I am now a public sector planner and its not a requirement. I will probably just not pay next year if its too much of a burden to find or take courses.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It makes me wonder if it would be less expensive to just take the test every two years!

While I am in favor of CM, I think that AICP should be mandatory and if we have to pay for the upkeep, we should get compensated appropriately.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2006
    I used to want to get my AICP, but as soon as I found out there were APA dues, I decided to back off.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Anybody read the comments at: http://www.apawatchdog.org/

It appears that the Commission is counting on enough upset members to quit AICP to prevent election of opposition members to the Commission. The Commissionís own research shows that 27% of AICP members will quit AICP. If you quit AICP, youíre only playing into their hands.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not a big deal to this point....I'm up to 30 CPD credits after Philly (I should have claimed more after that long cold walk in the wind to the Mutter Museum). But if my jurisdiction stops paying my APA/AICP membership, it will come to a complete and grinding halt.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2004
    Most places I have worked have never supported any sort of training or conferences that would qualify. I am finally in a position where that sort of thing is supported but it will still be very very difficult to reach the number of credits - especially since most of the traning courses and conferences that are the most relevant to local planning issues will generally not be certified by the APA for various reasons. I am pretty sure this will result in me giving up my certification and forming an even worse opinion of APA/AICP than I already have.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    i think everyone should just quit complaining and just suck it up. if you work for a community/firm that doesnt have a huge budget to throw around then that might mean you have to dig into your own pocket, pay the cost of a few courses/conferences, and MOVE ON. If it's impossible to do that...then maybe it just wans't meant to be, or maybe it's time to get a new job if AICP is that important to your livelihood.

yeah yeah yeah, i agree that this thread is just a rant for people to blow off steam, but in the much larger picture, there are more important things to worry about, that's all.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Well, count the planners in my jursidiction as some who will be "playing into their hands" by quitting AICP. Heck, we may start layoffs here even though we have a significantly higher population, heavy growth pressure and more property tax income than ever. I expect we'll all drop our APA membership as well. There is absolutely no incentive to have either one of them and it seems like it isn't important to anyone here. I'm really wishing I hadn't invested the time and money to even take the test a few years ago. What a waste ...

Registered
    Aug 2006
    AICP isn't a huge deal to a lot of planners. Where I work, by boss could care less if get the certification, (he doesn't have it) and I guess I feel like its a waste of money. What do you get for your dues, a newsletter and resume padding? Now its an even bigger waste of money.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    It took me 1/2 hour to log my credits from Philly. Very slow

Registered
    Jul 2006

Last Call?

May 26 Submit comments on proposed changes to AICP bylaws to AICPbylaws@planning.org
    I just noticed this in the Last Call section of the May 22 edition of Interact. Did I miss another call for comments? I can't find it referenced on the APA or AICP websites. Or are they just jerking us around again?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    It took me 1/2 hour to log my credits from Philly. Very slow
    Look, this is not a difficult one to figure out. Just log on and add the credits to your log. Even if you didn't attend a single conference session. I'm sure that I'm not the first to figure this out...and I have a very simple mind. And I'll continue the practice (until they give me credit for walking in the rain with TN to dinner and that long cold walk up to the Mutter and back with dandy and boiker). It's all a joke. I did avoid adding credits for sessions happening simultaneously.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Class...Class...CLASS!!!!!!!

The Northern New England Chapter got spooled up about this in discussion from a rogue Rural and Small Town Division leader, and this is what I posted:

I have read the steady stream of comments and I guess I am ready to jump into the fray. I did not comment in the commentary period because, ironically, I was okay with certification maintenance so I hung back (something we get so irritated with on our projects when only the naysayers show up, so yeah, Iím part of the problemÖ).

I think we have to move forward now. Itís ironic that we in New England get so irritated with the lack of respect for the process with the disgruntled voter who pushes for a referendum because they didnít get their way at Town Meeting, yet there is a rumor that we planners may do the same thing with the AICP Commissioner vote?

I like maintenance of my certification because I like to keep up beyond the reading materials I get on the profession. As my position here constantly changes, I get into areas I have not had experience before, which is why many others and I like being a planner in a town where we do everything and not pigeon-holed in a big department. So I look to classes, workshops and conferences to give me that education, the check in that what I do is akin to what everyone else does, and for some good support that is lacking with all of us so geographically spread out. This type of effort helps prevent burn out for me. I am extremely lucky and I know it that I work in a town that supports me keeping up with my profession and really, they demand it from me and they know that costs money.

Yes, everybody thinks they are a planner Ė so thatís the point Ė we should keep up for us, not to prove anything to anyone else.

By moving forward, we need to look at how we can make this work best for the small town and rural town planner. We need to push AICP to accept some of the more localized workshops we attend. In Maine, for instance, that might be a Randell Arendt lecture, a GrowSmart Maine workshop, County workshops, a NEMO class, the Maine Bar classes on planning law, and those Lorman classes down in Portland on planning issues (notice those brochures list how many credit hours you get for other professions, we should get on that list). Perhaps credit hours necessary for shoreland zoning certification, LEEDS and other allied certifications that support our work as professional planners could also be pushed for acceptance by AICP for credit hours. How many times a month do we get an email or flyer that calls for our attendance at some of these things? If we showed how much we do up here to keep up, maybe we could get those efforts to count. What about aligning ourselves with our work with the Urban Land Institute, the Congress for New Urbanism, the ASLA, AIA and other societies that also offer classes/workshops/conferences that support our work? Often many of us go because they are cheaper, closer to work/home and speak to issues we are working on directly. NNE-CAPA could also work with MAP and the other NE counterparts to join forces on making sure our sponsored events make the AICP list of allowable credit hours.

Instead of being upset we have to do this, we need to see how we can make it work for us by making the things we already do count at AICP.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Mar 2009, 5:22 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Jul 2008, 5:05 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jan 2008, 5:21 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 31 Aug 2007, 10:42 AM
  5. Replies: 0