Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Tech Shootings

Registered
    Dec 1998

Virginia Tech Shootings

Some madman has gone on a rampage and killed 22 people on the VA Tech campus. WHY???
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Words are never adequate to express the horrific insanity of these types of events. And 'insanity' is almost certainly at the heart of this tragedy. No sane person would walk into a dorm and gun down 22 strangers. Is it possible to keep weapons out of the hands of nutcases?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    What a tragedy. I believe they are now saying it is the deadliest school or campus shooting in U.S. history.

I don't know why someone would do this. It could be insanity, but not necessarily. It was likely whoever did this was just a very evil person.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 1997
    They are now reporting 31 dead.

That would make more deaths than the 1966 University of Texas tower shooting which killed 14 and the 1991 Killeen Luby's shooting that took 23 lives.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Wow... I'm shocked... why would anyone go out in a shooting rampage in a university? It's not highschool or anything... you'd expect more mature people... but as usual this will only make people whine more and more about gun control... because you know... guns kill people, not the people that pull the trigger.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Many of the folks here at work are VT alum so the office is very somber. My best friend is about to graduate from Vet school there-been trying to call her but so far no answer. Im sure she is fine but still I worry.

This is the 2nd time there has been a shooting with loss of life on VT campus this year, ones an escaped con and now this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

I'll just note that today there were 55 killings in Iraq, and that was a slow day. Over the weekend there were 273 Iraqis violently killed.

I didn't see anyone make a thread about it.

Moderator note:
    There's a big difference between wartime casualties and a shooting at a US university.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jaws View post
    I'll just note that today there were 55 killings in Iraq, and that was a slow day. Over the weekend there were 273 Iraqis violently killed.

I didn't see anyone make a thread about it.
    We must have had at least two dozen threads on that topic over the past four years. In short, it's been done to death.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    We must have had at least two dozen threads on that topic over the past four years. In short, it's been done to death.
    Although he does makes a point... not in the best way though... Now how many people were killed in Darfur today and most of the world doesn't give a damn?

Now if someone says that College shootings are worse than human rights violations.... well that wouldn't be a very respected opinion... Both are tragic... but also both should be noticed.

Moderator note:
    Suburb Repairman

I almost yellow-carded you on this one, but am pretty sure your intent was not to downplay this tragedy based on that last line.

Keep it on-topic though...

Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 16 Apr 2007 at 5:38 PM.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton View post
    Although he does makes a point... not in the best way though... Now how many people were killed in Darfur today and most of the world doesn't give a damn?

Now if someone says that College shootings are worse than human rights violations.... well that wouldn't be a very respected opinion... Both are tragic... but also both should be noticed.
    It's a gross assumption to think that just because I (or anyone else here for that matter) didn't start a thread about Darfur, doesn't mean that I (or anyone here for that matter) don't give a damn. No one has stopped YOU (or anyone else here for that matter) from starting one. In the meantime, can we be respectful and stay on topic?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Moderator note:
    There's a big difference between wartime casualties and a shooting at a US university.

Certainly, wartime casualties are a direct consequence of the acts of your government, which you are therefore responsible for.

A shooting rampage by some nuts is trivial, a matter for local newspapers, thus why I don't understand why this merits an outburst of emotion while a much greater tragedy that you have a causal link to is treated with silence.

Moderator note:
    Suburb Repairman

and that will earn you a 2 day vacation from Cyburbia. Section 2.15 of the forum rules states "Trolling is posting with the intent to incite controversy or cause offense. Trolling is not permitted." In addition, a simple read of the executive summary on the forum rules tells you "don't be a jerk."

You were warned once about your posting, yet you repeated the same assertion. One can only assume your intent is to incite controversy and cause offense.

EDIT: After discussion among the moderators & administrators, we have decided to ban jaws for exhibiting behavior over a long period of time consistent with that of a one-trick pony and troll. For additional explanation, please see this thread.

Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 17 Apr 2007 at 12:27 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A shooting rampage by some nuts is trivial, a matter for local newspapers, thus why I don't understand why this merits an outburst of emotion while a much greater tragedy that you have a causal link to is treated with silence.
    Holy sh*t, you just don't know when to shut up do you. I have never heard anyone, especially in these forums, refer to what is going on in Iraq or Darfur, or wherever, as, "trivial." Where you find the place to hold such a sanctimonious attitude is beyond my understanding. I just hope that you're not waiting to hear from any friends you may have in Blacksburg. Although, that would necessitate you having any friends to start with. And I find the probability of that to be quite low.

You have crapped on enough threads. Please leave this one alone.

Moderator note:
    Suburb Repairman

I understand the urge, but the personal attack is unnecessary. Keep it clean.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 16 Apr 2007 at 5:34 PM.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    What a sad and horrifying story from Virginia Tech. Couple comments.....

Homeland Security has determined that campus settings are "soft targets" for terrorists. They can also be a soft target for any nut case with an agenda or a burr. Not sure there is anything that can be done to prevent such tragedies. It appears (at least at first blush) that the gunman today moved from one building to another and the authorities did not realize that.

One of my fellow employees has a good friend who operates a barber shop on the campus of Virginia Tech. My friend was worried and was trying to get in touch with him.

I have a slight connection to the 1966 University of Texas shootings that you will hear a lot about in the next 24-48 hours. My older brother and a now-deceased prof from Bowling Green State University (here in NW Ohio) co-authored a poetry book. That prof, Frederick Eckman, had a son who was shot and killed by the man they called "The Texas Tower Sniper". If memory serves me correctly, Charles Whitman (the sniper) killed about 20 people, from his perch atop the tower at the University of Texas.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Certainly, wartime casualties are a direct consequence of the acts of your government, which you are therefore responsible for.
    I would venture to guess that many of us on here aren't even remotely responsible for what is going on in Iraq, because we didn't vote for Bush, we protest the war, etc. Okay, now that I got that off my chest, I'll get back on topic.

On msnbc there is a list of campus shootings, starting with U. of Texas in '66. For a long time there were decades between campus shootings and now they are a pretty regular occurance. Just read that this started with the guy shooting his ex-girlfriend and an RA in her dorm. Students are angry because even though those shootings took place at least a half hour before most people head to their first morning class, they weren't put on lockdown at that point.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    We got the news overnight about the shootings- its front page of the Sydney newspaper- University shootings is something that we have yet to experience here- and hopefully never will. It just makes me think about the lack of security on our campuses.

Its just a real tragedy.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I watched part of the news conference this afternoon; the university president said that, with 17,000 of the 26,000 students being commuters, there was no way to notify them not to come to campus. I guess campus officials felt there had been an incident and the assailant had left. Who are we to second guess them? I can't believe the blame game that has already started. Who could possibly have predicted that the same guy (if it was the same guy) would surface 2 hours later?

I was appalled that MSNBC reported early on that a Resident Assistant in the dorm had been killed. That had to be an identifying factor for some parents before they were officially notified. How callous.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    My prayers go out to all those that have loved ones and all those who've been touched by this event. We have a intern that has worked in our office the past two summers and scheduled to work with us this summer, who will be graduating from Virginia Tech in May. Thankfully, I got word from her this evening that she is okay, but unfortunately the news will not be so good for others.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I went to my local paper for an update and was accosted by a dancing PIG advertising the local fair; no way to X it out. I was so ticked. It took me 3 web sites to find a way to complain.

Update

MSNBC reported tonight that the killer may have been a chinese man who just has a visa who "may have" called in multiple bomb threats last week to the school - just to test the campus "security". Serial Numbers were scratched off the 2 guns used -suggesting they were likely bought on the "black" market. Whether or not any of this is true, it is a sad state of affairs nonetheless.
    Brings up the age-old topic of gun control all over again.......oh boy
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    At the time of my yellow carding, I had just arrived on campus from work and had not yet heard the fate of some people I was concerned about in the engineering department at Va. Tech. Thankfully they are OK.

This is just a sad incident that makes me sick at my stomach. No, this is not an international incident, or act of genocide, but then again, Blacksburg, VA is not a war zone.

What will be, unfortunately, interesting are the national discussions that will follow this sad event. What sort of gun control argument will be arise? Will campuses, which are traditionally open environments for all for a reason, become like high schools, complete with metal detectors and ever present security cards. And will the news that the gunman was possibly a Chinese national lead to new reactionary approaches to immigration? I suppose we'll all know soon enough.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    At the time of my yellow carding, I had just arrived on campus from work and had not yet heard the fate of some people I was concerned about in the engineering department at Va. Tech. Thankfully they are OK.

This is just a sad incident that makes me sick at my stomach. No, this is not an international incident, or act of genocide, but then again, Blacksburg, VA is not a war zone.

What will be, unfortunately, interesting are the national discussions that will follow this sad event. What sort of gun control argument will be arise? Will campuses, which are traditionally open environments for all for a reason, become like high schools, complete with metal detectors and ever present security cards. And will the news that the gunman was possibly a Chinese national lead to new reactionary approaches to immigration? I suppose we'll all know soon enough.
    I hear you... I was on campus this evening for a graduate class at Texas State and have to admit, I looked around the campus and thought to myself "exactly how the hell do you secure a college campus without stifling it?" Adding to the difficulty is the level of diversity often present on a college campus--tons of folks on student visas. They are part of what makes college special by exposing everyone to different cultures.

The one thing that stands out to me as a way to reduce risk exposure: communication systems. With the growing commuter presence on campus, it is no longer as simple as PA announcements in dorms to let students know what is going on when 60% of them are off campus. In today's wireless world, I wonder if an automated call system (reverse 911) with student cell numbers on file could have helped. I don't know of a single university with a system like this, but it seems like a way to prevent the magnitude of such tragedies as this.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001

like a bad day in baghdad says Geraldo

how in og's name could this happen? supposedly the shooter is on a student visa from overseas, and he can get guns and ammunition to take down as many people as he can?

sickening.

and im not so appalled by Jaws, i've been reading at the Dope how lots of people are quite frankly unmoved by this. I meand they are sorry for the victims and family but as far as emotion goes they really feel nothing about this slaughter. like a big shrug of the shoulders. ANd if we dont give two craps about the daily death toll in Irag or the genocide in darfur im not surprised some are "cold"toward this event.

Im waiting to see if there are any the accomplices in this dirty deed.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr View post
    Brings up the age-old topic of gun control all over again.......oh boy
    Moderator note:
    The discussion of gun control in threads about the massacre has been poorly received on other message boards, whether the opinion is pro or con. Please, fellow Cyburbians, don't turn this thread into a discussion on gun control. It's too soon.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    So sad... so pointless... poor kids...

Is the law enforcement reaction / intervnetion beign discussed at all?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

I'm too weary from all this to debate, or argue, or bicker, or second-guess, or anything else that everyone around the globe seems to be doing.

I suppose there's a reason why we have moments of silence: It's a chance for everyone to hush up and reflect on things in their own personal way, as they see fit, and try to come to terms with what has happened. Or perhaps more succinctly, we have moments of silence because words are insufficient in response to tragedies such as these.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Virginia Tech - Blacksburg
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 May 2009, 1:03 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 11:37 AM
  3. MLA at Virginia Tech