Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: From wine to community planning

Registered
    Apr 2007

From wine to community planning

Greetings

Need help. Changing career from wine marketing to community planning. I need assistance to plot out exactly what I need to study and where. I am particularly interested in ensuring that developments work towards communities that will be vibrant, healthy and successful in the long-term. Urban Planning together with a Sociological course?

Thanks in advance...

Nelsonx

Moderator note:
    Greetings and welcome to Cyburbia nelsonx -- I moved this thread from Introduce Yourself to Career Advice. The nature of your question fits this sub-forum better and it will get much more traffic here. Carry on!

Changing career from wine marketing to community planning.
    We have a planner oenophile that will be a big help with this topic, but he's indisposed right now and it may be a little while...

I need assistance to plot out exactly what I need to study and where. I am particularly interested in ensuring that developments work towards communities that will be vibrant, healthy and successful in the long-term. Urban Planning together with a Sociological course?
    What you're describing should be covered in any planning curriculum. We also have a member Kiwi who might be able to recommend some schools that would be of interest to you.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 16 Apr 2007 at 3:22 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome. I'd be more than happy to tell you how to make the transition over to urban planning, for the small price of a heavily discounted case of your best Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

Like Gedunker posted before, you will learn most of what you want in many urban planning graduate studies program. Some may focus more on development and others may be more policy based. Most, in the US at least, will allow you to tailor your coursework a bit to suit your interest.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from the Florida panhandle transplanted from California.

I'm not sure where you're going. Trying to make a connection between the two? State-side? If so, in California, Sonoma State, Fresno State and UC Davis have course work associated with vineyard and urban/suburban development interface.
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Mar 2010, 10:10 PM
  2. about wine glasses (for RJ)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 Jun 2009, 11:12 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 12:17 AM
  4. Community planning vs community development