Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Home occupations (was: I see the future?)

Registered
    Mar 2007

Home occupations (was: I see the future?)

I got an conditional use application for a home occupation that involves Psychic Reading. Would anyone consider this a Home Occupation?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I'd consider it a commercial use. Though parking probably wouldn't be a problem (fortune tellers can only handle one customer at a time, I presume), the business wouldn't take up too much square footage, and the use probably wouldn't cause congestion, I do assume there will be a neon sign out front (or some sort of large sign). That bumps it up to being more than a home occ. in our ord. Basically, if it is apparent to passersby that there is a business going on, chances are it needs commercial zoning, or a conditional use if your ordinance allows it that way.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It would likely meet our definition of a home occupation, provided there were 10 or fewer vehicle trips per day. But our county is pretty liberal in its definition.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think like most commercial uses it could be considered a home occupation if it meets the criteria of your regulations - a certain % of floor area, small sign, max # of customers per hour, etc.

No. A customary home occupation has no customer traffic to the property under our definition.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Ask the applicant. A psychic should already know the answer.

Under our code it could be a home occupation, as per Seabishop. We permit "one customer at a time".

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    No. A customary home occupation has no customer traffic to the property under our definition.
    Although I personally tend to be liberal with code interpretations, I have to agree with the 'dunker. When writing code I try to make it explicit as possible that an exclusively residential district cannot allow customer traffic, and although this is beyond what you asked, any home based businesses that involve production should have very a very limited number of outgoing deliveries.

Is it typical to have home occupation as a conditional use?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Our Home Occ. code oultines specific uses that are permitted. For us, a psychic reader would not qualify.

Our's generally permits small scale office type uses - architect, real estate agent, salesman, professional consulting, etc. and allows for no more than 1 customer on the premises at any given time. Also, all persons involved in the conduct of the business must reside in the house.

We are a prominent and large Chicago suburb.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Our Home Occ. code oultines specific uses that are permitted. For us, a psychic reader would not qualify.

Our's generally permits small scale office type uses - architect, real estate agent, salesman, professional consulting, etc. and allows for no more than 1 customer on the premises at any given time. Also, all persons involved in the conduct of the business must reside in the house.
    I would call a psychic an "office." Just like a travel agent or accountant they meet with clients and offer a service, and you can't get any more small scale.

I think you planners are just scared about what the psychics will reveal about you! Free the psychics!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 22 Jun 2011, 5:14 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 12 Jul 2010, 12:01 PM
  3. Home occupations: lawn mowing
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 Dec 2009, 12:46 PM
  4. Discuss...Home Occupations
    Land Use and Zoning