Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: McGill urban design program

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

McGill urban design program

Whats the reputation? Any other info would be appreciated!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    It's the best in Canada by most estimations. I hear back from them today I think.

g.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Really - never heard of the program. Looks like focussed marketing of existing planning and archicture programs. I've heard good things about their arch school and mixed about the planning and of course fantastic things about the city.

Actually, from what I hear they are planning to offer a full stand-alone Urban Design program soon. I believe it will be shared by both Schools of Architecture and Urban Planning.
    Though presently, each School also seems to already have a new Urban Design option under their respective Master of Urban Planning and Master of Architecture program (i.e. separate programs).
    Last edited by Gkorstad Staegenheim; 19 Apr 2007 at 2:03 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    McGill's planning program has a decent rep, at least within Canada. From what I understand, most graduates don't stay in Montreal. Since their urban design program is so new, it's hard to say what its reputation is - but, like the OP said, they're planning to spin off their urban design concentrations into an actual master's program, barring any administrative hurdles.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I feel like its prob not a good idea to be one of the first people to do their dedicated Urban Design degree - I dont want to be a guinea pig! Any thoughts on that?

Registered
    Aug 2006
    You get out of a program what you put into it whether its been established since confederation or brand new. I find too many people (including me) but too much emphasis on the school, unless you really want to study under some particular profs whose work you have read and you really embrace their ideas (not me).

But the program will probably use existing resources and faculty so it's not brand new in that sense. Give them a call and see how the program will be built.

BTW Montreal is a fantastic city to live in for a couple of years. Great atmosphere.

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Hi all!

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how McGill School of Urban Planning's reputation stands on a global level nowadays. I realize that there are no global rankings for urban planning schools (and even if there would be any, there relevance might be insignificant). I'm just trying to figure out if it's a global player, i.e. if the school can compete against e.g. Georgia, Cornell, Harvard, MIT, Melbourne, London..

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 May 2013, 12:51 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2008, 12:06 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 May 2006, 10:29 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Apr 2006, 5:02 PM
  5. New design program found. Sketch-up.
    Design, Space, and Place