Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: St. Louis PART TWO :: The Central West End (Broadband Recommended)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

St. Louis PART TWO :: The Central West End (Broadband Recommended)

Very nice -- thanks for sharing. It reinforces in my mind that St. Louis often doesn't get enough credit for its urban fabric. The residential sections remind me of nearby Old Louisville.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Nice pix!! How does one get to the Cental West End from the Airport. I'll be there in a couple of weeks.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Nice pix!! How does one get to the Cental West End from the Airport. I'll be there in a couple of weeks.
    From the airport the best way to get there would be to get on 70 east, 170 south, 40 east and off at Kingshighway North...this will run you along the Central West End...take a right on Euclid, or any of the streets right after the hospital and you will find yourself in the Central West End (be sure not to go too far past the hospital, you will run into a really, REALLY seedy, bad part of the city (at least in my opinion)
    Again, lack of people, however looking at the pics, the weather didn't look great. The West End is usually covered in people walking at all times of the day...in the evenings it is one of THE places to go...lots of bars, restaurants, clubs, patios...fun, FUN places!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Great pics!

Is this neighborhood not on the lightrail line? Can't you take it from the airport?
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Yes, I assume you can take it from the airport ; Sorry, I live WAY out here in suburbs and drive to the West End...you are correct, the Metrolink will take you to the West End from the airport and it is probably the safest, quickest and easiest way to get there!!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Pictures missing.

But luckily I saw them yesterday and I must say that they are some of the most beautiful, highly detailed, and expectionally original (don't appear to have been restored) main street style commercial buildings.

Thanks very much for sharing.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post

If you have not made the trip yet...

Take metro from the airport into the city, get off at the Central West End stop (it is just past the Forest Park stop) when you get to the top of the stairs turn right (North) and walk down Euclid into the heart of the West End. Maryland and Euclid is the major intersection, but walk North another 2 blocks to Dressel's for a good pub, walk back down to Maryland and turn west to check out the new Maryland Plaza. Walk down some of the private streets to check out the mansions Hortense Place is nice.

The CWE is about 25 mins from the airport by Metro.

Jaxspra- We are going to have to get you out of St. Chuck a little more often.

By the way is the custard stand on the corner of Jefferson and Kingshighway across from Lindenwood open yet? The owner was a great guy and I would hate to see them fail.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Howard Roark View post
    If you have not made the trip yet...

Take metro from the airport into the city, get off at the Central West End stop (it is just past the Forest Park stop) when you get to the top of the stairs turn right (North) and walk down Euclid into the heart of the West End. Maryland and Euclid is the major intersection, but walk North another 2 blocks to Dressel's for a good pub, walk back down to Maryland and turn west to check out the new Maryland Plaza. Walk down some of the private streets to check out the mansions Hortense Place is nice.

The CWE is about 25 mins from the airport by Metro.

Jaxspra- We are going to have to get you out of St. Chuck a little more often.

By the way is the custard stand on the corner of Jefferson and Kingshighway across from Lindenwood open yet? The owner was a great guy and I would hate to see them fail.

hguhgughuhug I KNOW! I can't believe I didn't even think of the metro and I sent someone down 40 with all construction starting!
    Funny thing is, I do leave St. Chuck, all the time actually but its primarily to go to the bars on the weekends or Forest Park to hang out.
    Yeah, they opened that custard stand, funny you should mention that, I was driving around MainStreet with the boys tonight and I was going to take them to dinner there and it wasn't opened at at 8:30...I need to make sure its still in business. The owner is a good friends father-in-law, took a bit to get that building approved. Still not one of my favorites but 110 times better than the old gas station that was at that corner!
    I thought I heard the original owner had sold...but not sure....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    took a bit to get that building approved.

Heh... I know

Still not one of my favorites but 110 times better than the old gas station that was at that corner!

Oh, I donno, I like it better than the Commerece Bank But then again I may be baised. You don't like the little train station?

He is a great guy, but was in his early 80's when the job started, I was out in New Town a couple of weeks ago went by and noticed he was not open yet, I was worried that something bad had happened. I hope he makes it, Lindenwood deserves to have a "student town" and I thought it was a good start.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Howard Roark View post
    took a bit to get that building approved.

Heh... I know

Still not one of my favorites but 110 times better than the old gas station that was at that corner!

Oh, I donno, I like it better than the Commerece Bank But then again I may be baised. You don't like the little train station?

He is a great guy, but was in his early 80's when the job started, I was out in New Town a couple of weeks ago went by and noticed he was not open yet, I was worried that something bad had happened. I hope he makes it, Lindenwood deserves to have a "student town" and I thought it was a good start.
    I was afraid to make any comments about that building to you; wondering if perhaps you had a personal stake in it perhaps I have met one more Cyburbian??

Its not the building that I do not like (well....) its the building at that location...but then again it has grown on me and the corner looks much, much better...its much better than many of the surrounding buildings, thats for sure....

As far as the owner I have not heard anything and am pretty close to his son in law so i think I would have heard...I'll have to check out why its not opened...

As far as Lindenwood and a student center...there is a lot goiing on in that area... well up the street a bit. Lindenwood has purchased almost all of theproperty in the vicinity and a large development is going in up on First Capitol across from the new performing arts center..the post office is moving up there as well. On the corner from 70 all the way to West Clay down to the Walgreens yet another re-development is in the works. That one appears to be a large, large commercial area. I really hope it pans out, could be just what Lindenwood needs to give the area a more student friendly feel. A few coffee shops have started opening up in the area.

How do you like New Town? I go back and forth...I hate the location, I would have perferred to see the concept applied to existing structures rather than typical sprawl but Greg has done an amazing job and has done his best to develop a true community. I assume you may know this but he is also developing the existing Noah's Ark site (New Town at Noah's Ark) quite a bit more commercial than what is in New Town; he has also began developing a New Town in Liberty, MO and is working hard on getting an electric street car here in St. Charles. I am pretty sure he has purchased 9 of the old St. Louis Street Cars from someone in California. Just waiting to see what shape they are in when he gets them back here. The trolley system would be a great concept, just not sure how far along its going to get.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I was afraid to make any comments about that building to you; wondering if perhaps you had a personal stake in it perhaps I have met one more Cyburbian??

I was the designer on the job not architect of record, did attend the first public hearing about 3 years ago, I did have someone from planning advise me to look at the Commerece down the street, which I did and promptly rejected, this building is detailed better...but I may be baised

Its not the building that I do not like (well....) its the building at that location...but then again it has grown on me and the corner looks much, much better...its much better than many of the surrounding buildings, thats for sure....

Thank you! I think I fought to get the parking behind the building to make it more ped friendly, I left that firm before it enter CD's but the basic design that you see today was my intent more or less.

As far as Lindenwood and a student center...there is a lot goiing on in that area... well up the street a bit. Lindenwood has purchased almost all of theproperty in the vicinity and a large development is going in up on First Capitol across from the new performing arts center..the post office is moving up there as well. On the corner from 70 all the way to West Clay down to the Walgreens yet another re-development is in the works. That one appears to be a large, large commercial area. I really hope it pans out, could be just what Lindenwood needs to give the area a more student friendly feel. A few coffee shops have started opening up in the area.

Good! A lot of the building stock to the North of the university is really nice, the stuff along First Capital is crap, but... would make for great new urbanist infill (maybe you should give Greg and Tim a call ) I think a Delmar Loop type enviroment there is doable and fitting.

How do you like New Town? I go back and forth...I hate the location, I would have perferred to see the concept applied to existing structures rather than typical sprawl but Greg has done an amazing job and has done his best to develop a true community. I assume you may know this but he is also developing the existing Noah's Ark site (New Town at Noah's Ark) quite a bit more commercial than what is in New Town; he has also began developing a New Town in Liberty, MO and is working hard on getting an electric street car here in St. Charles. I am pretty sure he has purchased 9 of the old St. Louis Street Cars from someone in California. Just waiting to see what shape they are in when he gets them back here. The trolley system would be a great concept, just not sure how far along its going to get.

I was the worlds biggest critic of NU till I saw how nice NT was coming together, I still could make a list of all the things I do not like but on the whole Andres and Whittaker have done a great job.

Am familiar w/ Noah's Ark, how is the Arcturis project south of there at the arena coming togther? If both of those go, you will have an honset city, if you can tie the spaces in between together you will have a great city. I like the street car idea it could go a long way to becoming a connector.

Though I have strayed way off topic... Nice pics Tosspot, the West End photos nicely.

Registered
    May 2007
    Nice shots!.. thanks for the pics.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Beautiful architecture at the right scale -- however, where are the pedestrians?
    Also, is this area of St. Louis affordable?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 37
    Last post: 03 May 2013, 12:28 PM
  2. Key West FL (Broadband)
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Jul 2008, 10:04 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 4:51 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 May 2005, 12:49 AM