Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Russia wants tunnel to Alaska

Russia wants tunnel to Alaska

Thought some might find this proposal interesting. Russia wants to drop $12bn into building an underground tunnel across the Bering Strait.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Anything to keep the US awash in oil.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Three words I haven't seen mentioned in any of the articles about the various tunnel and bridge proposals through the years.

Break-of-gauge.

North America's railroads are entirely standard gauge: 1435 mm. Russia is 1520 mm.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Three words I haven't seen mentioned in any of the articles about the various tunnel and bridge proposals through the years.

Break-of-gauge.

North America's railroads are entirely standard gauge: 1435 mm. Russia is 1520 mm.
    This close gauge difference was an intentional thing done by the czars of the late 19th century, to make it difficult for invading armies from central and western Europe to use Russia's railroads for their own purposes - the difference is too great to simply run the trains from one to the other but too small to lay a 'third rail' to create dual-gauge track. Obviously, this is not as much of a concern today as it was during the time of Napoleon III and WWI.

Gauge-change is not as big of a deal as one would think. 'Run through' convertable equipment exists and is used on a daily basis (ie, between Spain and France). OTOH, braking and coupling systems are also incompatible between Russia and North America. Interestingly, the exact same incompatibility exists betwwen Russian and Chinese railroads, the latter of which are fully compatible with those of North America. Also, IIRC, work is under way on a standard gauge (1435 mm) trans-Asia railway running south of Russia to allow Chinese equipment to run through directly to Europe, eliminating the need for the 'ship-rail-ship' transloading routing via North America for China-Europe trade (a lot of those containers that one sees on the USA's transcontinental railroads are in fact traveling between China and Europe).

I would almost expect that should such a Russia-North America link be built that Russia would build most of the trackage on its end to be 1435 mm 'standard' gauge, better facilitating direct trade.

As for 'is this shorter/faster than the current ships?', the Bering Strait tunnel would be the most direct 'great circle' routing.

Of course, other issues would have to be addressed, too, many of them political in North America, not the least of which would be the need to use a ROW that passes through Federally designated 'Wilderness' lands in the USA (although I'd think that many Alaskans would not really have a problem with that).

As I say on such things "We shall see".

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Highway? Insane!

With a ferry between Colombia and Panama you could drive to any country on any major landmass in the world except Australia.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Quote Originally posted by jresta View post
    Highway? Insane!

With a ferry between Colombia and Panama you could drive to any country on any major landmass in the world except Australia.
    If this proposal ever gets past the drawing board, I doubt the highway will come with it. There is not going to be a lot of automobile traffic between the Alaskan Bush and the Siberian wastelands. The main motivators of the tunnel are the pipelines and cables. A rail link is a reasonable addition. But a highway would not be worth the substantial added expense and added logistical problems. Of course, it will likely be possible to have your car shuttled on the train (much like one can do through the Chunnel).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Interesting idea on several levels. US and Canadian west cost ports are often strained beyond their capacity, and are the greatest bottleneck on transcontinental shipping. A rail link might be an attrctive alternative, especially from the industrial cities of the Midwest and Northeast, for those companies already shipping by rail. There would be no down time during loading/unloading, or with ships waiting to enter ports.

It is also interesting to hear the potential for electrical generation from tides being used to power trains through the tunnel (no exhaust fumes to deal with) and potentially as an export to US and Canadian markets. Very green.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2003
    12 billion dollars sounds absurdly low. Even after the standard 100% overrun for something like this, that's still a paltry 24 billion dollars.

I'd wager 40 billion dollars as a reasonable lower bound.

Seems to me like Russia is hoping to get US money to fund one of their make-work programs.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I can't even begin to imagine what the EIS for that project would look like...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If Alaska's congressional delegation were to get its way, it'd probably be a blank sheet of paper.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    WOW! But I have to wonder at 10-15 years to complete and $10B -$12B in cost how is it cost effective at all?
    @GigCityPlanner

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    WOW! But I have to wonder at 10-15 years to complete and $10B -$12B in cost how is it cost effective at all?
    A gigantically expensive tunnel connecting Nowhere northeastern Russia with Nowhere northwestern Alaska.

Sounds great to me!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Is this what you Americans call a White Elephant my comrade?
    @GigCityPlanner

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Is this what you Americans call a White Elephant my comrade?
    Yes, but Mr. Stevens loves those, so it will certainly get financed from the US side.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2007

Huh...

As ambitious as this project sounds, I don't really ever see it coming to fruition. However, if it did, apparently we'll be able to take a highway all the way to Africa

http://www.summitbridge.com

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Well, i'd support it. IMO, trade with Russia is one of the major reasons Alaska has put so much development into the airport. If Russia would prefer to do it's trading by rail, a tunnel to the US would be a decent way to go. And if they started actively trading through it, it wouldn't remain "nowhere". A railway would give them access to the US markets, which would help the economy there and in Alaska. And as far as break in gauge, they could also solve it in the short term by simply moving the loads to different trains, i'm sure.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by njm View post
    If Alaska's congressional delegation were to get its way, it'd probably be a blank sheet of paper.
    HA! That's so true it's almost not funny.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally posted by amyk View post
    As ambitious as this project sounds, I don't really ever see it coming to fruition. However, if it did, apparently we'll be able to take a highway all the way to Africa

http://www.summitbridge.com
    In theory, i think this is a GREAT idea, but unfortunately i do not see this happening in any of our lifetimes, or our great-great grandchildren's lifetime for that matter... Would cost waaaay too much money

might as well go for the full monty

If they're thinking of doing this, we might as well get France involved and buy a 350mph TGV train to run through it. I'd buy that ticket.

Endangered species?

Would the Russian Tunnel, or "Runnel", harm the migratory habits of the Alaskan king crabs, the opilio crabs or the (recently off of the federal protected list) baridi crabs?

Been watching too much "Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by EMick23 View post
    Would the Russian Tunnel, or "Runnel", harm the migratory habits of the Alaskan king crabs, the opilio crabs or the (recently off of the federal protected list) baridi crabs?

Been watching too much "Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel...
    I am guessing it would have to be hundreds of feet below the seabed.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I am guessing it would have to be hundreds of feet below the seabed.
    I would expect it to be a deep, TBM bored tunnel, too.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jresta View post
    Highway? Insane!

It would make for the ultimate round the world rally race!!!

Bill

Registered
    May 2007

this is the exact thought I had

Quote Originally posted by jordanb View post
    12 billion dollars sounds absurdly low. Even after the standard 100% overrun for something like this, that's still a paltry 24 billion dollars.

I'd wager 40 billion dollars as a reasonable lower bound.

Seems to me like Russia is hoping to get US money to fund one of their make-work programs.
    this is the exact thought I had. In San Francisco we can get about 1.5 miles of subway for about 6 billion

Registered
    May 2007

what???

so the heck with global warming and environmental justice and natural resource preservation and CRAP like that, huh?!?!?!? WOW...

it amazes me that IDEAS like these are even considered! i hope we have something left so the next generations wont repeat history.

And now im done!
    Last edited by dominimami305; 12 Jun 2007 at 2:47 PM. Reason: more ranting..lol

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. ADA Russia style
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Sep 2012, 11:08 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 Mar 2007, 2:58 PM
  3. Why Russia is Hell...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8