Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bonds

Registered
    Mar 2005

Bonds

Recently I found an original surety bond in a final plat folder. I wanted to get them out of our files because I don't believe original legal instruments like these belong in our files. How do your communities keep and track bonds? I gave them to the City Clerk but she was very put off by the request because she doesn't want to deal with them.

In the last city I worked for they were maintained and tracked by the City Attorney's office. Where I am now the City Attorney is a consultant and not a part of the City Staff and asking them to keep and track the documents is probably not realistic.

Please enlighten me on how your communitity stores and tracks bonds/etc.

Quote Originally posted by CDT View post
    Recently I found an original surety bond in a final plat folder. I wanted to get them out of our files because I don't believe original legal instruments like these belong in our files. How do your communities keep and track bonds? I gave them to the City Clerk but she was very put off by the request because she doesn't want to deal with them.

In the last city I worked for they were maintained and tracked by the City Attorney's office. Where I am now the City Attorney is a consultant and not a part of the City Staff and asking them to keep and track the documents is probably not realistic.

Please enlighten me on how your communitity stores and tracks bonds/etc.
    The County Engineer and handles them in my jurisdiction.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    We have our Finance Department hold those documents and account for any cash bonds. If they set for too long without being released they remind us with a memo.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    This is good. I was worried maybe it was commonplace to hold them in the planning files. I don't like the idea of keeping them in the files. I would love to hear more responses.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    All bonds once approved by the planners and attorneys go to the County Freeholder Board for acceptance. We keep a copy in the file and all cash goes to the treasurer. Upon request for release we have a resolution signed by 3 different inspections, Roads Dept, Planning Dept, and Engineering Dept. Has to pass all 3 and the Planning Board will then make a recommendation to the Freeholder Board for release of the bond and retention of a release fee (if no fee was given at time or request for release). Then when the money is returned a copy of the letter from the treasurer that the applicant would get goes in the file.

Hope this helped.
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Maintenance bonds
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Nov 2009, 3:46 PM
  2. When to post bonds?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Apr 2007, 8:36 PM
  3. TIF bonds: How can you project the increment?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 18 Aug 2006, 1:43 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 11:30 AM
  5. Demolition bonds for big-boxes?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 2:40 PM