Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Class 2 bicycle parking for v. large buildings

Registered
    Jul 2006

Class 2 bicycle parking for v. large buildings

Hi folks,

My city's been working on a draft bicycle parking bylaw, and it has been working ok, however it is starting to create issues for some very large office and residential towers in the downtown. Our class 2 (short term, outside, bike-rack type) parking requirements aren't graduated, so on very large buildings, very large bike rack requirements are being requested. Feedback internally is that they are unrealistic (since they don't believe they will ever see 100% utilization) and not particularly attractive in large numbers, (since their footprint becomes so big that it begins to eat up space that could be used for landscaping.)

Does anyone have graduated bicycle parking requirements for large buildings that they know work well? Or alternatively, does anyone have a concept for storing large numbers of bicycles short-term that's more asthetically pleasing than a giant bike rack, but not going as far as Class 1 type requirements (lockers, locked bike rooms, etc.) If you have photos that you can post, that would be great too.

Apologies if there's already been a post on this -- and yes, I plan on looking stuff up in Google.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DPP; 19 Apr 2007 at 2:38 PM.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    What ratio is your draft By-law considering? In my previous job, 1 space for every 1250m2 of commercial GFA, with a minimum of 6 spaces was the requirement. That shouldn't result in an onerous parking requirement, even for the largest office developments. For multiple residential, the requirement was 0.75 spaces per unit, to a maximum of 200 spaces. Visitor/resident parking was provided on a 20/80 split.

Things I would consider re: large areas of bicycle parking - break it up into several smaller areas, maybe put some spaces underground or in the building. Vertical parking for bicycles can save space, but I would limit its use (Toronto was no more than 50% of the spaces could require vertical storage).

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the response, Tranplanner

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/Bu/...book_draft.pdf is the draft report which has a page with all the rates in it.

In the downtown , offices have the rate of 1 space / 600 m2 GFA for Class 1 (secure, i.e. lockers, or a locked, fenced enclosure within the parkade)

&

1 space / 1000 m2 GFA for Class 2 (bike racks for short stays, couriers, etc.)

Our rates don't have any caps on them, and for very large developments, ( > 1 million square feet) they can create a lot of bike parking, apparently enough to get pushback from the clients and from planners, who don't think it will ever see 100% utilization.

I agree with splitting it up into a number of small clusters near each entrance as opposed to one big "lot". Makes it more useful.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Interesting to see you are having troubles with your standards, I have been reading many of them in preparation for an upcoming project.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by DPP View post
    In the downtown , offices have the rate of 1 space / 600 m2 GFA for Class 1 (secure, i.e. lockers, or a locked, fenced enclosure within the parkade)

&

1 space / 1000 m2 GFA for Class 2 (bike racks for short stays, couriers, etc.)
    So, a 1 million sq. ft office complex would generate a need for 155 Class 1 and 93 Class 2 spaces? That doesn't seem excessive to me, considering you'd get say 3100 employees in the complex (1 job/30m2)? Do you have leeway to play with the ratio some...get them to provide more Class 1 spaces in return for a lower amount of outdoor spaces? On the face of it, having separate Class 1 and Class 2 standards would seem a little...inflexible, though I can see the point is likely to ensure that developers will provide attractive, secure parking for employees.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Well, I was just using a million as an example. Calgary's new Encana "Bow" tower http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bow_(Calgary) will have approx 1.7 million square feet of office space, so approx. 160 Class II stalls.

(That's not even including the retail space (another 200,000 square feet))

I don't think the provision of them is a problem if the location of them is thoughtfully done. Naturally a big office is going to have a lot of entry points, and the bicycle parking should take advantage of that so that there's bike parking close to any entry point. If they are badly located, then they won't get used.

The concern was that a large number of them clustered together could create an eyesore that would also be poorly utilized.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 28 Jul 2010, 12:34 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Sep 2007, 5:28 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Mar 2007, 5:27 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Mar 2007, 10:01 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Dec 2001, 4:36 PM